UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Ho, Ho, Hmmmmm....



Yesterday we were invited to a neighborhood Christmas party where Santa showed up. After reading a story to the kids and taking photos with each of them, he handed out gifts that we parents provided.

As toy after toy was opened, I began to get a little worried about what was in Santa’s bag for Cameron (who by the way remained on good behavior about the Santa issue, even taking a front and center seat to play along with the big guy). I had wrapped him up a book. I thought that maybe he’d be disappointed in his present compared to all the other kids.

But when he unwrapped his non-toy, he was so excited, and immediately ran to his friend Patrick to show him what he got. Then the two sat down and actually started reading it together!




Gotta love that Junie B!

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At 6:18 PM, Blogger Maddy said...

So glad you hit the right note!
Cheers
"Whittereronautism"

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger wiferhood said...

Cari~

I saw those books in the store and started to buy a few for NyCee. I know that they are too advanced for her at this age but she is not interested in Dr. Suess (sp?) books anymore. I guess one can only hear Green Eggs and Ham so many times before losing interest. (HA!)

Are the chapters short enough to maybe hold her attention while I read it or should I look for something else? What does Ella like to hear/read?

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Undomestic said...

Dayna,
Oh, Ella doesn't like chapter books. Max will barely listen to them when I read to Cameron. Anything with pictures. Picture books are especially great because they help kids with their language...they can sit and point out different things that they know in the pictures. I love any of the board books by Karen Katz.,...The Colors of Us is my favorite (not a board book though). David Shannon has some great books...with the NO DAVID! series being our favorites. And the board books by Mandy Stanley (What do you say? How do you feel?, etc.) are Ella's favorites. She tries to "read" them based on the pictures. It's great. Also the Eric Carle Brown Bear, Brown Bear...or Polar Bear, Polar Bear are also favorites and the repetition helps the kids memorize the book..promoting their "pretend" reading. Just a few ideas.

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger Ann said...

I didn't think a boy would like those books - good to know. I have a list of books ready for Kathleen once she starts but with three boys on her tail, not sure what I was going to buy them.

Are those more advanced than the Magic Treehouse - now need to rank my favourites!

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger Undomestic said...

Cameron's Kindergarten teacher started reading them to the class. They're REALLY funny! The poor grammar of a first grader is sometimes annoying...but it's her correct voice. They are more difficult than Magic Treehouse. They don't give you all the knowledge of Magic Treehouse, but I enjoy them much more!

 
At 7:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Cari...because I bought him 3 books for Christmas...Dana

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Caro said...

My daughter loves Junie B. That looks like a new one. Off to Amazon. LOL

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger Undomestic said...

Dana, I forgot to tell you that the last book you bought him, involved a class pet lizard falling into Stinks sink, and being ground up in the garbage disposal by his sister!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home