UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Monday, October 08, 2007

Initial Post Chemo thoughts

I finished chemo around 4:30, and I have to admit it wasn’t bad at all. Well, except for two things:

Despite the fact that I was given prescription numbing cream, it hurt like hell when the tech inserted the needle into my porta cath. She told me that I must’ve rubbed the cream off, and gave me instructions for how to apply it more effectively, which includes big globs and Saran Wrap.

I was placed in the chair directly in front of the television tuned to the TV Land channel, and I had the privilege of being exposed to a Leave It to Beaver marathon! Could it be any worse than that? ME…watching June Cleaver? Ha!

My mom also commented on the lack of warmth in the décor and set up. I think her exact words were that it was too busy and looked like an assembly line. Yep, queue up those patients, stick ‘em all with needles, switch a bag every now and then, and send them on out. I was glad that she came, and she got some good Hollywood gossip reading done.

I felt perfectly fine when I left, and at about 7:00 the nausea started to settle in. It hasn’t been so bad, just that uncomfortable sensation one experiences when he/she starts to feel carsick. I took some meds, and once I got the kids to sleep, was able to eat some crackers, and relax in front of The Bachelor, I felt better.

Tonight I get to take some Ativan….and that should be N..I..C..E!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 11:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been thinking of you a lot today. I am glad to hear that it wasn't so bad...minus the porta cath part. I'll be in touch this week to see if you need anything!

Shannon

 
At 7:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear you weren't too queasy! Hang in there, sweetie and drink LOTS of water!

Love you!

 
At 7:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love you Cari....praying for you diligently everyday! Can't wait til you get better so we can run!!

Dana

 
At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cari-
It seems surreal to imagine you there, and even more so having to be in front of Leave it to Beaver. Can they at least change the channel next time? Glad to hear your mom was able to go with you. Hope the next few days aren't too rough. Will be praying for you.
I'm virtually sharing my crackers with you from here- have found Carrs Table Water crackers to be more effective than saltines- not sure how they might be for the sort of nausea you're having but you might give them a go.
Keep an eye on the mail- have sent you something to wear there next time.
Love,
L

 
At 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that your Mom is with you. I wish I could be there to help in some way. I pray that the rest of your treatment is par from the norm and easy for you. Leave it to Beaver ? UHG !!! Keep the FAITH, be blessed, stay strong. I'm still praying.

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger LH said...

Hey dear, When I went with friend J to her first chemo, it was in a large room with recliners. Then she moved to another doctor with private rooms for the chemo. That felt better to me. And I wasn't even getting the chemo. All of your blog readers down here in HoosierLand (and there are many) are sending you love.
yay for the atavan.
L

 
At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari:

I am so glad to hear that your chemo went rather well. I hoping and praying that they will all be this easy or easier. I'm glad you had your mother with you, it's always nice to have a love one to share scary moments with you.
As usual, you're always in my prayers.

Love you much,
Auntie Nita

 

Post a Comment

<< Home