Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Friday, August 03, 2007

Danger...very tired mother...apparently

When I was awakened this morning at 4:30 AM by a little 3 year old who refused to eat his dinner last night, and now was crying out for food, I really had little choice but to feed him. Especially since Ella was lying right beside me in bed from when she woke up at 2 AM, and I certainly didn’t want her to awake as well. I already had a headache from the previous day, and his whining and screaming was not making it any better. I figured I could get Max some breakfast, and then put him back to sleep. But he had other plans.

After spending almost 20 minutes trying to figure out what he would eat, since I refused to give him the oatmeal crème pie he insisted (unsuccessfully) on having at bedtime last night. Finally he decided on some cereal without milk. As he ate, I tried to snooze on the couch. But then he wanted a drink. And then he wanted to watch TV. And then he didn’t like the show that was on. And then he wanted some vitamins. So my slumber was interrupted over and over and over again. Until it was about 6:30, and then Cameron was awake. And soon after that was Ella, who crawled out of my bed and eventually made her way downstairs.

At some point this morning Melvin got up, showered, and headed out the door. However, after I had no choice but to pull my butt off the couch and get my other kids some grub, Melvin came back home. Again…surprising me. When I asked what he was doing back home, he said that I looked so pathetic this morning, and since I wasn’t feeling well the night before, that he figured I needed his help…so he cancelled some training session playing with dead bodies that day.

Now one would think I’d be happy about this. But despite how I was feeling last night, and earlier that morning, I really was okay. And I didn’t want him to think I was pathetic and couldn’t handle things. It felt like an insult. So as I’m sorta arguing with him to go to his cadaver session, he finally coaxed me up the stairs and as I’m telling him I’m fine and can take care of things on my own, we both saw that at the top of the steps there was a steak knife just sitting there on the ground.

What could I say? Obviously, I was as pathetic as I looked, and that morning, obviously I did need the help…or who knows what else would have happened! I just succumbed to reality…and went back to bed….until 10 AM.



At 9:55 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Get some sleep girl - sometimes it is amazing after a HORRIBLE night, you do feel OK. I too try to tough it out a lot but it just mightn't be worth the hassle.

Hope you feel better now.


Post a Comment

<< Home