UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Pulled

My kids know just how to tug at my heart strings.

This morning, Cameron was up at 5:30, and Max was up at 5:45. Groggily, I boiled some water for their instant oatmeal, with all intentions of crashing on the couch while they ate. Instead, as soon as I started to lie down, Cameron came over to me with the sweetest voice, handing me the dinosaur book I bought him yesterday and asked so sweetly, “Mommy, can I read this book to you?” He KNOWS that I LOVE when he reads to me…not at 6 AM, but I’ll take it whenever I can get it. So I didn’t even hesistate with an “Of course.” And for the next 30 minutes, I struggled to keep my eyes open while learning all about baby dinosaurs.

After dinner, while Cameron and Max were working on a Dora puzzle together, I really needed to get some of their lasagna mess cleaned up, but Ella wouldn’t let me. She crawled over to me, nestled herself in my lap, and then kept turning around to push her forehead against mine, smiling and laughing. Then she started clapping and “singing.” The dishes had to wait.

Later, we were watching Happy Feet in the movie room. I really wanted to just settle in and watch it, but the family room had toys strewn all over it, the dinner dishes were still on the table, and 2 loads of laundry needed to be put away. I managed to sneak away for a little bit, but kept coming downstairs to check on the kiddos. One of the times I peeked in for a moment and was about to head back upstairs to do some work when Cameron wandered over to me and asked in that sweet little voice again, “Mommy, can I sit on your lap?” Again, I couldn’t resist, and we snuggled together, watching the penguins dance and sing (until Max joined us and insisted on wedging himself between Cameron and me so that he too could sit on my lap).

And right now…after ten o’clock, I have Max sitting next to me. He had a long nap today, which means going to bed is nothing but a chore. Usually I do the up and down routine…bringing him back up to his bed, lying down with him for a little bit, getting him something to drink, threatening him, etc. But tonight he stopped in the toy room, brought his Whack A Mole game over to where I was working and asked, “Can you please play game wif me?” Again, my heart melted, and we proceed to clobber the little moles, and also play a little fishing game, and punched numbers in on a calculator.

So I’m very tired, my reviews are not done, the kitchen is not clean, the laundry is not put away and my 2 year old is still awake, yawning, but awake with his head resting on my arm. But really, what’s more important? I put my kids off enough to do all the stuff I feel I need to do. But today, their needs came first.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 5:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari, How heartwarming to feel the love of your family. Sounds like you have been doing a great job with the home-task responsibilities lately. What better way to give yourself a break than cuddling with your children upon their requests. Remember......that doesn't last forever so get it while youu can.

 
At 7:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari....PLEASE enjoy those moments, because when they get older....they don't want to be around...they want to with their friends all the time!!

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger mi said...

Yeah..note to self on this one. Very sweet. You definitely made the right choices.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home