UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Friday, February 16, 2007

GET UP!!!!!

When my husband hasn’t gotten much sleep, but finally is snoozing, and I must wake him up…for a call from the hospital or for his morning alarm, he can be pretty…well...illogical. Sometimes it’s quite funny, but sometimes he has an attitude that is just nasty. In his defense, he usually has absolutely no idea what he’s saying.

Take this morning for instance. I think he didn’t go to bed until way after midnight….which is normal for him. At about 4:45, Ella was screaming. So I ended up giving her milk and falling back to sleep with her on the couch in the family room. By the time we woke up again, it was around 5:30. I placed her back in her bed, and headed to my room. I check the alarm, and realized that my husband had set it for 6:00 AM.

This made absolutely no sense to me, because he had a plane to catch to Panama City Beach, Florida at 7 AM. So I nudged my snoring husband and tried to wake him up.
“Melvin, don’t you want to get up? You set the alarm for 6 o’clock, but your plane leaves at 7.”
“Yes, I know,” he said, but immediately the snoring resumed.
“No Melvin. You have to get up. There is now way you can wake up at 6 and still make the 7 o’clock flight.”
“I’ll make it!” he said, rather annoyed that I was bothering him.
“No you won’t Melvin,” I persisted. “There is no way you can get up, get a shower, drive to the airport, park, get through security and get to the plane in time.”
“Yes I can!” he responded, even more upset than before. “I’ll make it!” he said, downright rude.

Now here’s where I have a choice to make. I can either A…get terribly irritated back with him and just turn over and go back to sleep. I tried to wake him up, he was rude to , me, his loss. Plus, if I did this, I wouldn’t be all alone with my 3 munchkins all weekend. Or I can B….realize that he’s really not awake and if he had any clue what was really going on, he would have leaped from the bed, probably forgone the shower and headed directly to the airport.

I take things very personally, so it was hard not to get angry, but I didn’t, and just persisted. Eventually he woke up……

But he still missed his 7 o’clock plane.

However, he made flew standby on a 10 o’clock flight.

I hope he’s enjoying the peace and solitude and warmth of the Gulf coast. Because my kids spent dinner screaming “fatty head” and other names at each other because they thought it was funny. And, it’s below zero….again.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 8:39 AM, Blogger LH said...

How did Melvin react when he finally came to?

And I love the term "fatty head." I think I'll go call my husband that right now.

It's snowing here.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Undomestic said...

He immediately jumped in the shower, and I immediately went back to sleep. He woke me up to thank me for actually waking him up, and off he went.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home