Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Monday, March 27, 2006

The Trip and The Return

Ella and I are back from our trip. I wish we could have stayed a few more days, because it was WONDERFUL!

The Plane Ride
First of all, traveling with one is MUCH EASIER, than traveling with three. I felt no stress whatsoever preparing for this trip. I didn’t have to worry about bringing juice boxes or snacks, toys and books, and decide how to pack it all so that it’s accessible on demand. My only fear was that Ella was going to poop in her diaper when I wasn’t able to get to the bathroom in time to get her changed before it leaks all up her back (generally, I have about 5 seconds before this happens). On our departing flight, she waited until just before take-off to do her #2. But lucky for me, it wasn’t as bad as it sounded, and even after having to wait about 20 minutes before we took off and the seat belt sign was no longer illuminated, all her dirty business stayed right in her diaper.

Now the flight home was a different story. This time she waited until we were up in the air, but it was one of those 5 second poops….and waiting 5 minutes wasn’t helping anything. When the bell indicating that we could get out of our seats rang, I immediately tried to take her to the bathroom, only to be blocked by the serving cart. The flight attendant then informed me that there were no changing tables on the aircraft. She must have seen the look of panic fall across my face (or her sense of smell kicked in), because she immediately directed me to an alcove at the entrance door where I could change her ON THE FLOOR. First class had a nice view of my big butt as I stooped to change Ella…and I had to change her completely, as the poop ran simultaneously all up her back and down her thigh. Thankfully I was prepared with a change of clothes and a major disaster was avoided.

The Phone Calls
While in New Jersey, I checked in on home a few times, making sure Melvin was surviving (I knew the kids would be okay). Apparently getting the kids up and ready and out the door for school on time is not that easy. Also, one of the days Cameron got breakfast for Max and himself because Melvin fell asleep on the couch, and they didn’t seem to be able to wake him up (or else they just figured that Mommy wasn’t around, so they’d have to do it themselves). Overall the boys had a good time with their dad. He took Cameron to an indoor waterpark, and they also got a new computer game to play. Max seemed to enjoy free reign of all his toys and also seemed to discover how to climb out of his crib.

The Visit
My visit was just too short, but the time that I spent there was relaxing and enjoyable. Ella slept pretty well, and after I fed her in the morning, I was instructed to go back to sleep….no argument there. One morning I even slept until 10:30! What a dream. I did a little running..did a little shopping…visited my best friend. What more could one ask for? Ella was so smiley and enjoyed seeing new faces and receiving new clothes (Thanks to Gayle and to my Aunt Nancy, and her girls). Unfortunately, because I was only there for such a short time, I did not get to visit everyone I wanted to. But it was supposed to be a relaxing weekend, and driving all around visiting is too exhausting for me. Luckily my trip coincided with my Grandma’s (my dad’s mom) 80th birthday celebration, so I got to visit with all of my dad’s family. And with 14 kids brothers and sisters in his family, it’s rare that I get to see them all. I do apologize to those of you who I missed seeing, but I’ll be back in July.

The Return
Returning was bittersweet. I didn’t want to leave my parents or the stressfree environment. But of course I missed my boys…all 3 of them. And apparently they missed me, too. Cameron had a breakdown at school, and after he was done crying about missing his mom, he spent the last hour before I picked him up drawing 14 pictures…all for me. And Max screeched with delight, giving me a gigantic hug when I walked into his classroom. When we returned home (after he threw his chicken nuggets all over the floor and squirted his juicebox all over the table), he followed me wherever I went, insisting on sitting in the middle of my lap whenever possible (whether Ella was already there or not).

I debated whether to write about the condition of the house…after all, if I complain, I might not receive such a fabulous gift from my husband again. But I have to make a few comments, especially since my husband likes to give the impression that watching the boys and keeping an immaculate house is a piece of cake. And when I first entered the house, all seemed grand. There were no toys strewn across the family room rug (as it looked when I left last Friday), there were no breakfast dishes still sitting on the table, no papers were piled in the corner of the kitchen. But then I noticed some things. I think every single cup used that weekend was sitting in the sink…(the dishwasher was filled with 1/2 clean & 1/2 dirty dishes..????). When I looked in Cameron’s bedroom, I found a pile of peed-on sheets just sitting on the floor (which Cameron had informed me had been there for a couple days…Melvin “confessed” that he didn’t know how to use the washer), And when Ella was in her crib screaming, Cameron on the couch whining about something insignificant and Max crying for his before bedtime bottle of milk, I suddenly felt a panic before I even opened the refrigerator door, for I just knew there would be none of Max’s lactose-free milk. And the only regular milk that was there had an expiration date of March 21st. Obviously my husband did not go shopping for, or even inform me about, our need for absolute essentials. So I did what any mom would do in such a situation…stuck my nose up to the opening, and took a big whiff. Smelled okay, and Max didn’t reject it, so I guess it was still good. However, since it wasn’t Lactaid, whether it was spoiled or not, I will have a stinky mess awaiting me in the morning.

(HOWEVER, also when I was away, instead of doing the dishes or the laundry, my husband planned a Disney Vacation for us in mid April. And for that I am most grateful. I'll take that over fresh milk any day!!!)

I am glad to be home. The boys and I played for a few hours before bedtime, and I managed to not anger even once….even when I was talking on the phone as a naked Cameron was whipping stuffed toys at Max’s head. I didn’t even yell then.

So the trip did me good, and I think more (many more) should be scheduled in the future. Some with just my husband and I would be even better.

A big, giant, thank you to my husband....who is working tonight. Miss you dearly!


At 11:11 PM, Blogger cg said...

Ahhh Cari your trip does sound delicious - so glad you could sleep in till 10:30!! I am sure you missed the boys, and them missing you will only do them a bit of good. Your disney trip sounds fun!! I'll also take it over fresh milk anyday ;-)

At 11:16 AM, Anonymous Jaye said...

Hi Cari,
Sorry I missed you two ladies when you were out here! My sister didn't even mention it (oh well, guess I should read your blog more regularly, though I HAVE been working with a certain someone on their PhD dissertation, along with my two other jobs - I long for sleep also!). Next time....

At 3:41 PM, Blogger Cari said...

Jaye, It would have been great to see you! I heard you're quite busy. Are you doing the nike marathon?

We'll be down to Ocean City NJ 7/8 for a week if you want to come down or a day trip!!


Post a Comment

<< Home