UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Surprises


It never seems to fail that Cameron comes into my room every morning when I'm in the middle of my shower. Then he stands there and tries to have a conversation with me...can I get a little privacy?

Today, he didn't stay long in the bathroom. I heard him downstairs, but I really just wanted to get ready in peace, without him whining that he's starving, or without me constantly shushing him so he doesn't wake up Ella, so I didn't check to see what he was doing. A little later he came into the bedroom with a big grin on his face.

"What were you doing downstairs?" I asked him.
"Come see," he smiled. "It's a surprise."

I glanced over at Melvin, and we both had a slight look of horror on our faces, wondering what exactly he had done to surprise me. But when I made my way downstairs, my worried look turned into one of glee, as there before me, on the kitchen table, were two placements, with two bowls on top, filled with cereal. Cameron had prepared breakfast for him and Max without my help. He'd never done this before, and how he got the cereal down from the top shelf of the pantry I don't really want to think about, but he was so proud of himself, and I was proud of him, also.

But this was not the only moment of pride I had this morning. Even Max, my little monster, surprised me. After eating breakfast, he and Cameron were playing around in the family room, while I was nursing Ella on the couch. Suddenly Max came over to kiss Ella, but then started tugging at his socks. He was screaming for help, but I refused to help him take off the socks I had just put on a few minutes prior. Unable to stop him because I was trying to feed Ella, he managed to tug the socks off himself. But before I could even get angry with him, he ran over to me, and put his socks on Ella's cold barefeet.

Sometimes they can be such little devils...but today, they were my perfect angels (at least this morning they were).

1 Comments:

At 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story! See, just when you think you've been talking to yourself (or at best, the wall) all this time, things start to "click" inside little heads! It warmed my heart to read this, especially after the day I'm having here at work (hectic, to say the least). Think I'd rather be home, shoveling more of the 2 feet of snow we got!
Jaye

 

Post a Comment

<< Home