UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Saturday, February 04, 2006

It's just one letter.

Cameron and I have been working out of a "Reading Lesson" book for several months now. Even though we started it this summer, we're only on lesson 43. However, now that Cameron can read most decodable words, he's always coming up to me, "Mommy, let's due a reading lesson." And when he finishes, "Mommy, let's do another one!"

It's great and exciting, however, in order to control the sounds and sight words the children are to be practicing, the authors of this program create stories that are quite awkward and very boring.

Except for today. I couldn't stop giggling as Cameron was reading the story. You see, in the past, Cameron had some trouble producing certain sounds. It was all developmental, and now he's fine. However, sometimes he still has trouble saying a clear "S" sound, and often a "SH" sound comes out instead.

So when he read it, the latest story sounded like this:

he said, "can I eat cake?"
she said, "go shit with the cow."
he said, "no. I will not go."
she said, "go shit with the cat."
he said, "the cat has cake."
she said, "go shit with the cat and eat cake."
so he ate cake. he said, "this is fun."

I better fix this speech issue before he starts school next year or else he might be spending some time in the principal's office.

5 Comments:

At 7:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was too funny. Cameron, just keep on ready.....Mom Mom is so proud of you!

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger LH said...

v. funny. and v. exciting that Cameron's moved on into the world of readers. Yay!

 
At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hee hee hee- too funny! I've got a ton of those series in my office right now for a project. I know exactly what you mean about the contrived and often a bit boring text. Give Cameron some Henry and Mudge books and some Minnie and Moo books- he's ready for them and they're a little better- more natural-sounding.

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Undomestic said...

Thanks Lauren for the reading info. I just went to a Kindergarten Open House today at a private school down the street. I was very disappointed. I can't believe that if I ask someone for a curriculum they simply show me the text book. Am I that off base? I have another one tomorrow, and another on Thursday. We'll see!!!

 
At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari,

Cam is so smart...tell him his aunt Dana told him so!!

Sorry I didn't get back with you this weekend......in a world with a teenager.....our "shit" hit the fan this weekend...and that is the right way to say it.

Love, Dana

 

Post a Comment

<< Home