UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Monday, February 06, 2006

Just Perfect

Saturday night started out to be the perfect night.

After a trying day of kids with energy, who decided the house was their playground and seemed to leave toys and such in each room they ventured into, I managed to get the munchkins into bed BEFORE 8 PM. Even Ella went to sleep earlier than usual.

Melvin was oncall and at the hospital. So I popped myself some popcorn with the "pour-over" butter, settled down into our theatre and put on my latest Neflix movie, In Her Shoes. Now even though we've had this theatre set up for a few months, I haven't been able to just relax and watch a movie all by myself. Usually I'm attending to kids, or falling asleep. But the night was mine, and I was enjoying every minute of it. I remember even thinking to myself, "This is perfect...I'm going to have to blog about it."

But then in the middle of a wonderful movie, the phone rang. My husband had had a hard evening at the hospital and was coming home. He wanted to know if I could heat up some dinner for him. Reluctantly, I pulled myself from my reclining chair and made my way up to the kitchen.....where I heard screams echoing from Max's room. He apparently had been screaming for a while, as he managed to throw everything out of his crib, trying to get my attention (which was useless since I was in the basement and oblivious to all sounds above).

There goes my wonderful evening, I thought to myself. My silence was gone, my movie interrupted, my nerves starting to fluster.

But as I was holding Max, giving him a bottle to calm him, he was just looking into my eyes with such comfort, and I chastised myself. I thought, I am so blessed to have a child that cries out to me when he wakes up in the middle of the night frightened. I am so blessed to have a husband who works so hard and provides so much. I am so blessed that my other children were still sleeping soundly.

And with those thoughts, I talked with my husband for awhile as he ate his dinner, and we watched the movie together.

Yes, now my night truly was perfect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home