UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

You go girls!

Yesterday I read an article on Yahoo about a controversial marathon in Pakistan. What was so controversial about it? Well, women were running along side of men. Gasp..shock..the horror. You can read about it by clicking here.

Thankfully, despite the violent protests and constant threats, the mixed race was not cancelled, and with over 15,000 runners and 6,000 police officers, no one was hurt.

Although the fact that people can be so ignorant against women sickens me, I was somewhat amused by this article for 2 reasons:

1. First, I find it hilarious that the man who said this: "We have great support for the sports played by women ... but women should run separately and in a separate area,"...well, his last name is BUTT!!! How appropriate. How can you not laugh at" "Mr. Butt and other religious leaders also scorned the idea of Pakistani women running in shorts on the streets of Lahore."

2. Despite my scorn for the fact that a mixed race brings such violent protests, my goal for next fall is to run the Nike WOMEN'S Marathon. I will NOT, however, physically assault a man who just might be running beside me.

3 Comments:

At 5:36 PM, Blogger LH said...

Your #1 really made me laugh.

Your marathon plans are inspiring. I think that's very awesome indeed.

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Undomestic said...

I forgot to mention the REAL reason the all women's marathon intrigues me...not the camraderie of running alongside thousands of women..not the money that's being raised for charity...not the opportunity to visit California. All those are great...but it's the Tiffany Necklace you get for finishing...now that's worth the 26 miles (I hope).

 
At 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's one of the main reasons I run, too - the SWAG!!! Although I suffered terribly in the 45 degree pouring rain (with leg cramps for 10 miles), I finished that Flying Pig and brought home TWO t-shirts, a great poster, a cute medal and a great backpack! A Tiffany Necklace sure sounds good - might be time to start training again myself......

 

Post a Comment

<< Home