UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Hair today...gone tomorrow?????

I haven’t lost my hair…yet. They say it usually happens sometime between day 10 and 14. Day 10 is tomorrow. They say you feel some tingling in your head, or aching like a pony-tail headache, when the hair fall-out first starts. And for some it’s very gradual, others it’s in chunks. Every time I feel any sensation in my head lately I grab a hold of hair to see if it comes out. So far, nothing….which is good…and not good. Because I haven’t had my hair colored since July, and it is long overdue. This two-tone look is not very flattering. But I wasn’t going to spend over a hundred bucks for something that was only going to last a month before it disappeared!

Anyhow, I decided to make a list of all the good things about being bald BEFORE the deed actually happens. Because I think when it does happen, I’ll be too freaked to find anything positive.

1. I get to wear a bunch of cool scarves that my Martha Stewartesque friend Angela made for me.

2. I can literally jump in the shower and be ready in 15 minutes…like my husband does every morning! (He’s not bald…but he doesn’t have all the maintenance like I do).

3. I’ll save money on getting my hair colored and cut…although if you knew how much good wigs cost, you’d know that such money has already been accounted for.

4. Hasn’t every woman ever wondered what she’d look like bald? Now I get that chance.

5. When all is said and done, I’ll actually get to see what my real hair color is when it grows back in (although this might not be a good thing).

6. I won’t have to purchase a Halloween costume! Let’s see, what could I be…that chic from the movie Alien, that monster from The Adamms Family, an Egg...oh wait, I could be Britney Spears!

7. People will be able to tell that I have cancer and might make me some brownies…ala Desperate Housewives style…I could use some of those!

8. I won’t be having any bad hair days!

Okay, that’s all I can think of right now. Any others to smother all the negative ones I’ll be feeling each day?

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

At 9:34 PM, Blogger Jana said...

#2 would do it for me. Men have it soooo easy. And my husband wears a uniform to work - shorts and a t-shirt - no thought involved at all! Thinking of you over the coming days as the fallout ensues. Winter is coming so just think of all the cute winter hats you can buy and actually wear and no one will be the wiser as to what is going on under there. Stock up! (((HUGS)))

 
At 7:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

With all the wigs available, you can try out new hairdos (and colors) on a whim, OR, you could get a cool running tattoo on the back of your head! j/k! I like the idea of winter hats (and no hat hair!).

We've been praying that your hair DOESN'T fall out and that all your other side effects are minimal. Perhaps you'll have to get that color anyway. ;-)

 
At 7:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari...You forgot to add....Ella can't pull your hair when she is mad at you.

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Girl of Approval said...

You may not get to see your original hair color or texture. I don't know if it's a certain kind of chemo, but I've heard that your hair can grow back in a different color and texture, or style. Curly before, straight after.

I am a friend of cdoc (Jessie's sister) and read your blog. Your an example of the kind of woman I want to be, I don't have many domestic skills, but some how you make it work.

Best wishes,

Girl of Approval

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger cg said...

You are going to be beautiful! I just know it... I like the idea of a running tatoo, and a hat, and a wig and maybe some face paint? So many days so many styles.....have you read 'Bold in Big Hair Country?' It is an absolutely beautiful book about a cancer survivor

 
At 1:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well you can't have gray hairs if you don't have any hair, right? (not that you have to worry about grays anyway!)

Andrea

 
At 6:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooh! I got one. It will be that much easier to apply devil horns for your halloween costume!

-s

 
At 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You just gotta get one of the t-shirts that say "Too sexy for my hair!" you being such a hottie and all.

And remember, your hair coming out will mean that stuff is also busy doing it's job getting rid of those pesky cancer cells. ("Out, damn'd spot! Out, I say!") So, whoo-hoo for that!

I love you, sweetie!

 
At 7:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can also tell every one you are preparing for the sequel to "V is for Vendetta" or that you are going through a Sinead phase...

 
At 11:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari:

I feel that the most postitive thing of all is that...you know that your hair will grow back, and when it does it will be like the hair of a BABY! As a young woman (or for that matter any age woman) that is one marvelous thing to look forward to! In my prayers always.

Love you much,
Auntie Nita

 
At 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so amazed at how you keep your spirits up. I love reading your blog. Blessings on this next stage.
Angi cullinan

 
At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think everyone has it covered. Just wanted you to know that I was here

 

Post a Comment

<< Home