UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Friday, January 26, 2007

Blind

I’ve had glasses since I was in first grade. Not just any old glasses, but coke bottles! And although I’m farsighted and supposed to wear my specs all the time, despite the fact that I can now afford to shed the big bucks for special lenses that are thinner, my prescription is so strong, my eyes are still magnified through the lenses. I hate it. So I put them on when I absolutely must…when trying to read, when driving at night, when my eyes just need a rest. But rarely will you see me talking to you with them on. I’m too self-conscious and feel like the whole time we’re talking you’re thinking about how geeky my glasses are.

Today this happened:


I won’t get into the details of exactly how, because I don’t really know. I can just tell you that Ella was trying to grab at them, so I put them in my coat pocket, and at some point, they snapped.

I needed new ones anyhow, because I went to the doctors in the fall when I was having trouble reading even with my glasses on, and as I feared, my prescription needed to be even stronger. But the thought of having to wear even thicker more magnifying lenses caused me to procrastinate in purchasing new specs.

But now I have no choice.

Despite the fact that I went to Lens Crafters, my lenses require a special order out of their lab, and instead of getting them “in about an hour” mine will come in about 10 to 14 days.

I do hope they come even earlier, because they can’t possibly look nerdier than this:


6 Comments:

At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are still adorable and we love you even if you have taped your glasses together.

 
At 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Cari:

I never knew you wore glasses! Don't think of yourself as looking "geeky" or "nerdy", think of yourself as looking intelligent and knowledgable.

Love,
Auntie Nita

 
At 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zach says you look like Harry Potter, and, you know, he is WAY cool...

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger IrishMommy said...

Cari,
I can't stop laughing! Remember the movie, Revenge of the Nerds?

 
At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally a picture of my beautiful daughter( in-law), you know I don't use that part of the title, and this is what you show to the viewers.(Smile). You're still beautiful, inside and outside. I love you.
Roz

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Caro said...

Your eyes are a very beautiful blue, and not at all magnified that I can see.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home