UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Friday, August 18, 2006

Technology Part 2

Many of you gave suggestions for printing my digital pictures. And I thank you for your ideas.

But here's my problem. I like for the pictures to look as perfect as possible.

I have not liked any "home printed" photos that I've seen. The color's not so nice...usually too dark. The photos are too shiny (I prefer matte). They just don't look studio quality. (If your experience has been different, please let me know which printer to buy).

I have sent my digital photos online to different places...Sam's Club, Kodak Gallery, Clark Color, and liked the results. However, since I like the pictures to look as perfect as possible, I feel like I need to edit and enhance each and every one. For example: here is an original photo that I took of the kids.

After cropping, removing red-eye, and enhancing the color, it looks like this:

I personally feel the 2nd photo is much better. However, this takes a LOT of TIME to do this to every single photo.

I've had every intention of making digital scrapbooks of vacations, birthdays, and other celebrations. But that too, takes so much time.

I'm even tempted to just go back to my regular 35mm camera, just so I can have the physical copies in hand.

Or maybe someone (hint hint) should just book me a hotel room for a weekend, with only me and my laptop, just so I can get all my pictures edited, printed, and in order.

Or maybe I just shouldn't be so picky.

8 Comments:

At 10:50 AM, Blogger Caro said...

I think snapfish.com lets you edit them before they develop them

I think it was easy too.

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Grace said...

Printing pictures… good luck. If you ever figure out a way to edit and enhance photos and print them in a quickly manner let me know!!!!!! I’ve discovered it is impossible to edit & print all my photos. (But I think I have more than the average person)

Personally, I save the original photos on my computer then open them up in a photo editing program. (Ex: Photoshop, Picasa, Picture it, etc.) Then I simply select “crop 4 x6,” crop the photo, select the general fixes (lighting, contrast, red eye, etc.), and then save the photo as a copy in a folder titled whatever it is on my desktop. It has become quite a tiresome task but it’s reasonably quick and works. Then later I can just go select the photos I want to print, the settings (the paper, type, # copies, etc.) and leave the computer to print… I can’t think of anything faster that gives me better results and I have tried for years.

What printer are you using? I’ve never heard of someone complaining about “shiny” photos. Do ya just not like that type of paper? Hmm… *runs over to photos lying on floor* Nope, I don’t think my photos look shiny. What is too shiny anyway?

Usually, when I print unedited (especially poorly lightly) photos they do turn out darker on paper. It’s happened with my current printer and the last three printers (all hp). I tend to use the new printer upstairs which seems to give me a better quality and it has individual ink cartridges. But I am still deciding how much I like it…

Oh no, you can’t be picky! -Because if you are picky I don’t know what that makes me. I like to take at least ten photos of the same thing, it must be perfect, and it must look perfect printed!

Just have some company print them... :)

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger LH said...

snapfish is good.

i love the look on ella's face.

and i love how many photos you share.

 
At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I personally did not see any significant difference in the photos. Maybe it is not really worth the effort on all of the photos. Possibly you might want to be more selective on the photos that need to be enhanced.

 
At 7:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why does Ella look so scared....is it Max??

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger Ann said...

I hear you on the digital photographs. I am in the one month countdown until I return to work. I will have several days of daycare available to get my life in order which not only includes shopping for clothes (which actually I hate doing), a massage, a movie, a pedicure and many sessions on the digital photography.

My goals are:
- to organize five years worth of photos (life only really started when the first kiddo arrived)
- finish the photo album (which includes getting stuff printed)
- and finish the annual photo montages (music selection is getting to me)

So much work but I know I will appreciate the time spent when all of us are older.

Good luck with your digital photograph woes.

PS ... I have used Kodak but have now settled for a Cdn option, less expensive for me.

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger IrishMommy said...

I love the edited photo! How can you not brag about how adorable your children are? If only they were always that way...

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger changapeluda said...

My what gorgeous babies you have!
No, not picky!
Just an eye for what is more aesthetically pleasing :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home