UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Saturday, August 26, 2006

outer space

Am I the only one who is notably sad that they have decided that Pluto is no longer a planet? I remember having to memorize those things in school, and because it was last, you never forgot Pluto. When reciting them, getting to Pluto was always your goal.

So what if those astronomers have discovered that it doesn’t actually meet the requirements of a planet. Those with Honorary Doctorates don’t actually meet the academic requirements to receive such a degree. Can’t we just give it honorary planet status and let it keep its name as Planet Pluto?

On another space note, the other day, Cameron was asking me if we could live on other planets. I explained that it’s too cold or too hot for humans to do such a thing. His response:

“Well then, being an astronaut is a dork job. Why would you even try to go to other planets if you already know it’s too hot or too cold to live there. That doesn’t even make any sense. That’s such a dork job.”

I should have explained that people thought the same thing about the Wright Brothers when it came to flying an airplane, but:

I didn’t feel like having to explain yet again all about what life used to be like a “long long time ago”…which only leads to more and more and more questions.

I somewhat agree with him, not about the dork part, but about the ridiculous nature of space travel. Especially when I think about the BILLIONS of dollars the federal government spends on space travel, compared to the amount spent on education. Now that truly is dorky.

2 Comments:

At 2:20 PM, Blogger wiferhood said...

I agree with you 100%. Additionally, let's not even think about the millions of dollars spent to arrive at the conclusion that Pluto is a "Dwarf Planet." If it is a dwarf planet, then in my opinion, it is a planet. Are dwarf humans any less human beings?

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger mi said...

I agree with you about the ridiculous cost of space travel. It is amazing, fascinating, and grabs my attention, but that money could be better spent in so many ways. How can the government justify people homeless and starving, or children needing books for school, or people needing medical care, or, or, or.....while spending billions of dollars on space exploration.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home