UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Monday, August 28, 2006

8 is Enough

People are always telling me that it's great to have kids who are close together in age....when they're older. Well, I'm waiting for the "older" part. My 2 youngest are 18 months apart, and so far, there really is nothing better about it. When people say to me, "Wow, they're close in age!" I often mumble something about not recommending it, as I blow out of my face the greasy strands of hair fallen from my ponytail. Hair that hasn't been washed in 3 days because it's hard to get a shower when your 8 month old puts everything and anything in your mouth, and your 2 year old will aid her in this endeavor.


But this weekend I was fortunate enough to experience how great it can be when kids are almost the same age. My 5 nieces from Detroit visited this week, ages 5, 6, 7, 7, 10, and it was wonderful taking them out together. I, singlehandedly, took them to an indoor playplace, the local town fair, and a new outdoor park. And except for the sheer cost of having to feed and entertain 7 kids, and still dealing with a 2 year old, it really was more fun than difficult. I continually had people comment, “Wow, you’re brave to bring them all by yourself.” But really, it was easier to take this crew than my usual 3.

In addition to our little outings, we had a lot of fun around the house and neighborhood. The girls played with playdough, hung out in the playroom and enjoyed the backyard playset.

They especially loved swimming in the neighborhood pool. Ella was completely spoiled by her cousin Elyce. Taking a break from watching movies, Granny was ready to go do some wine tasting. while Grandpa was engrossed in a book. When she wasn’t hanging out at the local Wal-mart, Auntie Phebe was showing us her bike riding skills. (In her defense, this picture was taken right after our wine tasting at the winery, so her judgment may have been impaired).

I was quite sad to see them go and do hope they can visit again soon.

And although I enjoyed having all the kids, I'm in no way planning on expanding my family. Eight is enough for the short term, but 3 suits me just fine for the long haul.

6 Comments:

At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari:

Roz, tried to get me to come with them, I sure wish I had, looks like you all had a ball. The pictures of the girls are beautiful! May be I'll be able to make the next trip (sigh)

Love, Auntie Nita

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Just Me said...

It looks like you guys had a great time. I'm jealous (smile). Tell big Max hi and kiss the kids for me.
Love Aunt Sylvia

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger mi said...

What a fun visit! You are truly amazing taking those kids on your own. I would just worry that I wouldn't be able to keep track of everyone!

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger BabelBabe said...

The older my kids get, the easier they get. I look forward to them being eighteen : )

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Undomestic said...

Auntie Nita and Auntie Sylvia, I do wish you both could have been here. Maybe on the next trip..or maybe you can do a sister's get-a-way.

mi, In my former life (and hopefully in my future life) I was a teacher, so I'm used to groups of kids (although they were 13 and 14 year olds). I did a lot of "buddy checks" and constant counting. Actually, the only ones who seemed to wander off were my two boys!

babelbabe, You're so funny!

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Caro said...

LMAO. Can Aunt Phebe come visit me?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home