UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Friday, June 09, 2006

A hungry one

Max likes to eat. Not always off his own plate, but he likes to eat nonetheless. Unlike his brother, who think that the only necessary food in this world is peanut butter and jelly, Max will eat practically anything.

He often goes into the kitchen pantry and just starts pointing to everything that he wants, or pulls it off the shelves himself. He'll go into his drawer and get out his own plates and bowls to let me know that he's hungry, which seems to be throughout the day.

Last weekend I was gone all day on Saturday. When I returned home, the boys came running to me screaming, "Mommy! Mommy!" Cameron gave me a big hug. Max came toward me to also give me a hug, but then was suddenly distracted by a silver wrapper in my hand. At that moment, he my presence meant nothing to him and he was only focused on obtaining the granola bar I was carrying.

So I shouldn't be so surprised about what happened yesterday. We had met up with my Mom's Spiritual Spa friends and their kids at a local park. Max was off playing on the equipment, and I'd watch him from the shaded picnic table. He doesn't need much help to climb or slide anymore, only to swing, so I let him explore unless he appears to be in danger or needs my help. I had just finished standing with him while he played on a see-saw type contraption with another little boy, and I thought he had followed me over to the picnic area. I was chatting for a few minutes when I realized that his bright yellow shirt was nowhere in sight.

"Where's Max?" I asked in a panic. As I yelled his name, the group picnicing on the ground next to us immediately called out, "We have an extra one over here!"

I walked over to where they were, and sitting with them, on their blanket, with the biggest eyes ever sporting a look like his mother starves him, Max had joined their group, ready to partake with them in their lunch.

Where there is food...there you'll find Max.

4 Comments:

At 10:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When a boys got to eat....a boys got to eat!!

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger mi said...

Of course, he was finally sitting still, right? I suspect that only happens when food is nearby. What a little imp.

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger Caro said...

A kid after my own heart.

 
At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari:

This child takes right after his daddy! I don't know how Melvin's appetite is now, but when he was little he could put it away!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home