UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Friday, May 12, 2006

Today...was good.

Today I was able to try to take a nap without putting my oldest child in front of the TV to keep him preoccupied.

Today I was able to shop for a gift at Creative Kidstuff without having to make sure my munchkins weren’t opening any boxes or throwing any toys. Nor did I have to pry them from the store kicking and screaming.

Today I was able to make a long overdue phone call to my friend to discuss important airline and hotel reservations for the Nike Women's Marathon in October without having to continually ask her to repeat what she said as I tended to high pitched screeches and drawn out cries.

Today I was able to match the socks that had been piling up for weeks without the “help” of some unnamed children, which would result in me giving up and putting the pile away for another time.

Today, instead of getting the brush off once again because my hands were too full with household or kiddy duties, Cameron got to work on making his own picture book, writing out some words and completing a puzzle.

Today I was able to make a decent dinner, complete with a vegetable, for my husband, without having to balance tending to hot food on the stove with one hand and a little munchkin trying to grab at such food in the other hand.

Today I was able to take my oldest son to track practice, where it was unseasonably windy and cold, without having to drag my other two little ones ,who already have ridiculously runny noses, out into such weather.

Considering all of my previous posts, how was I able to do all this you might ask?

After putzing around about the idea for too long, we finally brought in reinforcements.

Our babysitter Sara is now working for us 2 days a week, and once the boys are done with "school" at the end of May, she’ll be coming here 3 days. Next to my other mother, she is the BEST. She sees what needs to be done and she does it, not waiting around for requests of help from me. The kids love her, especially Max.

Maybe I won't be making a trip to the looney bin after all.

4 Comments:

At 4:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like your household and my work situation are heading in the same direction. There are just limits to how much we can do alone.......believe it or not....we just can't do it all (all the time). Bring on the reinforcements!!!!! You sounded so much better on the phone last evening. A wee bit lighter.

 
At 7:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari....I just wanted to let you know that I am praying for you and your family....know that your grandmother is in the arms of Jesus...the BEST place to be!!

And.....thank you VERY much for thinking of me on Mother's Day!!

Love, Dana

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger BabelBabe said...

babysitters rock. my kids adore ours, more than they love me, and i don't know that i even care. i wish she'd adopt ME.

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger LH said...

Well done on the babysitter my friend. We had many and they were all much loved. Some are our pals to this day.
Happy weekend,
l

 

Post a Comment

<< Home