UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

My thoughts on a great woman

(Minnie Ella with mini Ella)

Yesterday my husband’s grandmother had a stroke. We thought she was stable, but at about 3:00 in the morning, we received the dreaded phone call that she had passed away.

Mrs. Minnie Ella Porties was a remarkable woman. Whenever we visited Detroit, she was always a bright shining light, filled with God’s love and always ministering about His goodness. Grandma Minnie had been in and out of the hospital with asthma issues ever since I’ve known my husband. She had been confined to a wheel chair and on oxygen for the past few years now. And yet, no matter how sickly she may have seemed with her shallow breathing, she was always smiling…always positive. There were times when we visited when I wondered if that would be the last time we’d see her, but she NEVER gave up hope, and always talked about what she was going to do, and where she was going to travel, when she started feeling better.

Even when Grandma wasn’t feeling well, she was always thinking of others and looking for ways to make them feel special. She had a card ministry, and with literally hundreds of relatives to account for, it was no small feat, but she made each of them feel important when they received their stickered birthday or anniversary card.

When was last saw her, she seemed to be feeling very well, and looked incredible. She was celebrating her 50th Wedding anniversary and looked just beautiful as the blushing bride.

Her death was unexpected and incredibly sad. But it gives me comfort to know that this truly Godly woman is up with our Lord, shining down and watching over all of us. And I think about how maybe she and my grandmother, who just passed away last fall, will sit down and have tea together sometime.

8 Comments:

At 5:45 PM, Blogger mi said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. What a wonderful tribute you write of her- previously when celebrating her anniversary, and now once she is gone. What a blessing to know she had the chance to love your entire family. I wish you peace and acceptance during this sad time.
M

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Undomestic said...

Thank you kimberly and mi for your very kind words.

 
At 8:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari,
your tribute brought a tear to my eye. I am sure bshe will keep watch over you and your family. Our prayers are with you.

 
At 10:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari,

I was so sad to hear about Melvin's grandmother. As I was reading your blog, I thought how familiar it all sounded. Her loving positive spirit was so much like mom-mom. I'm sure mom-mom was right there with open arms to greet her. Sending our deepest sympathy & love to all of you.

xo

 
At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rob and I are so sorry for your loss. We will keep both of you and Melvin's family in our prayers!

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Caro said...

I'm so sorry.

She sounds like a great lady.

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger BabelBabe said...

She looks lovely in that picture.

I am so sorry for your loss, Cari, and am thinking of you and your husband today.

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Undomestic said...

Thank you again to everyone..friends, family and "strangers" for your kind words, thoughts and prayers. The funeral is on Wednesday. Melvin leaves tomorrow, I leave Tuesday with the kids...there's a future blog post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home