UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Friday, February 24, 2006

Comedy of Sorts

Tonight we're traveling. I'm trying approach the stress of it all by laughing about the thought of everything that is to come. I'll start with just getting into the airport. We will have 3 suitcases, 2 carseats, a double stroller, 3 carry-ons...oh, and the kiddos themselves.

Then we'll have to get through security. That will be the biggest laugh of all. Taking off shoes. Taking laptops out of bags. Emptying and closing up the stroller, hoping it will fit through the x-ray. All with Cameron wanting to put all the bags on the conveyor belt, Max wanting to run away, and Ella in my arms, hopefully not screaming. Then when we get to the other side, we'll have to do it all in reverse. Hopefully, Cameron won't be hiding a matchbox car in his pocket, causing the metal detector to go off 3 times, which leads to a "pat-down" of my four-year-old (speaking from past experience of course).

All of the above will probably be done under extreme pressure since we are ALWAYS running late when it comes to catching a plane.

Once we get on the plane, we have 2 "lap" children now. So in one tiny row will be all 5 of us. And I will no longer have Melvin to hand off my lap child to so that I can get whatever is needed out of the bag under the seat (cups, books, snacks, etc.), nor will I have his tray to use to keep everything away from Max, because this time, he will be the one holding Max as I'll have to nurse Ella. (Although, he keeps trying to conjure up some scenario where he will get to sit in the back of the plane while I handle all the kiddos).

I'll try not to laugh anymore. Max has been in his crib screaming his head off for the past 1/2 hour while I tried to pack everything that I didn't finish this morning. I really TRIED to let the boys play while I packed, but instead, I found them in the living room with an entire box of cereal spread all over the couch and carpet. This called for putting them both in their rooms. Cameron fell asleep, but Max is too stubborn to do so. But at least now I know what to give them when I need a quiet hour to myself.

4 Comments:

At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so cari....how was your trip? Dana

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger mi said...

Where did you go? How did it go?

 
At 11:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guess who finally hit the blog ? Yes it's me, and I must tell you that for a woman so harried? you looked pretty good to me. I know what you had to go through to get to us, and I am so glad you did. Girl, been there! Done that! When we travelled I also had three little ones to contend with and i didn't handle it nearly as well as you seem to and I sure didn't look as good as I saw you looking. Your husband was "my" Cameron-with all of the questions, the rest is history repeating itself. I can only tell you that it does get better... in about eighteen years haha. I enjoyed you though and hope to see you again real soon. I'll cross my fingers on that one. Love, Rosalyn

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Undomestic said...

Looking good? Oh ma, you must not have had your glasses on. And according to one older and male relative in Detroit, I "looked like I had put on some weight." Well, yeah, I did kinda just have a baby less than 3 months ago. So I'll try not to take that comment personally and think only of yours!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home