UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Frozen Freaks

When my husband was first looking for jobs out of residency, and he told me he had an interview in Minnesota, my first reaction (along with everyone else I know) was, It’s COLD in Minnesota! His response was that it was a free trip and good interviewing experience, and “we’re not actually going to move there!”

So five years later, here I sit in COLD Minnesota. And Minnesotans not only tolerate the cold, they LIKE it! So much so, that they have all these outdoor events happening in the dead of winter. Minnesotans drive their trucks out on the middle of a lake to go ice fishing, they ice sculpture contests and cross country skiing trails in all of their parks.

And it seems like everywhere I look, there’s an ice rink filled with kids. Now they do actually have “warming houses” near many of these rinks…I guess so kids can begin to feel their toes before they head back out onto the ice.

But you know what? When the temperature is 10 below zero, with wind chills at 30 below, I’ll hang out in a warming house all right.. my own home. I’m plenty warm by my fireplace with heat coming out of the vents, and the only ice rink I can see is the one on my TV as I watch the Winter Olympics.

2 Comments:

At 6:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been thinking about you lately and the "COLD" you are experiencing. Have you put your fireplace on yet and I like the new additions (plants) on the hearth. Has my little Max found them interesting enough to play in yet?

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Undomestic said...

We were worried about Max bothering the fake grass vase thing a ma bobs. But he really hasn't. The first day he was trying to touch them, but Melvin would tell him No and he would stop. Sometimes he'll look at me with his mischievious grin and start to touch them, just so I'll notice him and tell him No. He was doing the same thing at the store yesterday. We were in Z Gallerie, and while Melvin was paying for a purchase, Max was in a chair at a dining table all set with nice dishes. Don't touch I'd tell him, and he would put out one finger and touch what he was not supposed to. No Max I'd say, and he'd move his finger on another dish. It's hard not to laugh when he does it. Anyhow, back to the grass vases things...occaisionally I'll find a lego or toy hidden in the grass....Max's doing I'm sure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home