UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Adulthood 101



Cameron has been very "testy" lately, excerting his independence with every decision I make for him (bedtime, what to eat, etc.). Although I understand that it's good he's being an independent thinker, sometimes it just gets to be too trying for my patience.

So yesterday we had the whole, "Who's in charge" conversation. He wanted to know when he got to be in charge. I told him when he had kids, he could be in charge of them....or at least until he's in college. Cameron whined that that was too long. I went on to explain that I'm an adult, and adults know a lot things that will keep kids safe, so they are in charge. blah, blah blah.

A few minutes later Cameron was getting ready for bed, and he was complaining about having to go to bed so early. I explained that he had school the next day, so he had to get up early. Here's the conversation that occured:

"Why do I even have to go to school? We don't learn anything."
"What are you talking about? Of course you learn things."
"No we don't. We just play and do projects. We don't learn anything about how to be an adult," Cameron affirmed, with quite an angry tone.
"What?" I asked, not sure I heard him correctly.
"They're not teaching us how to be an adult. We just play and do projects. When are they gonna teach us how to be an adult?" he asked, quite serious and quite annoyed.

I'm not even sure what I said to this. Something along the lines of in school you learn to read and write and do math.....that you have lots of time to learn to be an adult.

Today in school they were learning about community members and different jobs. Teacher was one of the jobs they discussed. When asked what a teacher does, Cameron apparently responded, "Teaches you how to be a kid."

If only there really was a class entitled, "Adulthood 101" I wonder what they'd teach you.

1 Comments:

At 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari -
Tell him that he's learning to play and do projects now, so that when he gets bored as an adult, he'll have something to "fall back on". We all need to play sometimes.

Jaye

 

Post a Comment

<< Home