UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

The Name Game

My husband and I are having a big dilemma. Months ago, when we discussed names, we had agreed (although my husband denies this) that if it was a girl, we'd name her Ella. I just like the sound of it...Ella Ashford. It just so happens that Ella is his grandmother's middle name, also. So doubly great. Then I added Ella Helene (Helen being my ailing grandmother's name). It wasn't set in stone or anything..but we started calling the baby Ella and everything.

Well, now my husband has changed his mind. He feels that Ella sounds like an old lady's name. And his family has made it quite clear to me (even though I NEVER asked) that they think so, also. He said we never actually agreed on the name, so I shouldn't have told people that we were going with Ella.

So now we're absolutely stuck. Any name he has come up with I have not liked at all. And even the girl names that I previously adored just don't sound right to me because I'm so used to thinking of the baby as Ella. And most of the people I know say that they love Ella Ashford. I even try to think of how kids might make fun of her name so that I won't like it anymore (Ellaphant..Cruella). But nothing seems to be working.

We have about 3 months to work this out...but until then.....

Ella ella bo bella, bannana fanna fo fella, me my mo mella....ELLA

4 Comments:

At 5:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you need to come in from the back door. If it is important to you that the names be linked to the grandmothers, how about naming her Helene Ella and then just call her Ella. Or find out what the name Ella stands for...........hopefully something profound or beautiful and maybe he will buy into it. I believe if you are naming for family namesake, that may be the link to his heart.

 
At 6:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari,

Didn't Melvin get to pick out Max's name....and isn't it your turn??

Dana

 
At 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ella is so pretty! And also, you can tell Melvin it's quite popular with young people now -- in fact, it was the 29th most popular name for girls in 2004! You can check it (and any other name you like) out on this site: http://www.babynamewizard.com/namevoyager/lnv0105.html

 
At 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the name Ella. Keep it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home