UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

I looked like a Tasty Tomato




This weekend we went to the "Waterpark Capital of the World"...Wisconsin Dells. For those of you not familiar with the place (I hadn't heard of it until we moved to Minnesota), the town is centrally located between the Twin Cities and Chicago and is filled with waterslides...indoor, outdoor, big ones, small ones, upside-down ones (okay, not really). But the point is, you go there to swim.

Of course, in my haste to pack everyone else's necessities, I forgot my own swimsuit. It's this really cute one from Old Navy Maternity...I left it in the dryer. We're two hours out, (it takes 3 to get there), and something "hit" me. "DAMN!" I yell. Melvin perks up from his slumber. "I fogot my swimsuit, damn, damn, damn, damn," I continue hitting the steering wheel as I speed along I-94. "Wanna turn around?" Melvin asks sarcastically.

Normally, not having a swimsuit wouldn't be the end of the world....except that it's the END of swimsuit season, and I'm 6 1/2 months pregnant! The town is literally in the middle of nowhere, with a Wal-mart Supercenter as the local shopping spot. Ever shop for clothes at Wal-mart (Okay, Lanette...I know you do, but you're the exception)? Ever shop for maternity clothes at Walmart? They have the super-large shirts that have horizontal stripes to emphasis your largeness.

After dropping the boys off at the Wilderness Resort, I trudge out to shop, defeated before I even begin. I make my way through the crowded aisles and find what is left of the swimsuit section. They never had maternity suits to begin with. So I start browsing through the "bigger suits" section. Hideous! I pick out a few somewhat-almost tolerable ones to try on, only to discover that although I'm big enough for them in the belly, I'm not in the top, and everytime I move, the top straps fall off. I manage to mangle through more, and find some size Large that I might be able to pull off, if my belly would just fit.

Unfortunately, the color selection was sickening...there's a reason why these suits were still here in September. I ended up with a plain, but bright, cherry red one piece that seemed to glimmer in the light. And in case when I got back to the resort I couldn't tolerate such a suit, I also picked up a purple suit with flowers right across the belly (for emphasis or camaflouge...not sure which). If I though that somehow I could blend in with the crowd, I was certainly mistaken, with the color pallette available.

But I survived. The swimsuit stayed on, and Cameron was like, "Oooh, your suit is pretty mommy." (Barf!!!). We met my husband's sister, brother and cousin with all their kids. They drove in from Detroit for the weekend. Our grand total in the cabin was 5 adults and 11 1/2 kids!!! Noisy, but fun....for the weekend. Not sure I could handle many nights with so many little ones (most of them falling in the 4-7 year old range). Naturally, the boys had fun, and Cameron finally went down some of the bigger slides we had unsuccessfully tried to talk him into doing previously. Wouldn't surprise me if we go there at least one more time before the baby comes. Melvin is even looking into purchasing a rental property.

3 Comments:

At 3:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Technorati: A&I Service for the Blogosphere
Blog search engine Technorati has introduced a new Blog Finder service. In contrast to its main search index, which allows users to search individual blog posts, this allows users to search for blogs that deal ...
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a earn residual income site. It pretty much covers earn residual income related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger LH said...

i wish we had gone there last year.
no fotos of the new suit?
we need more pregnancy fotos.

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Undomestic said...

lh,
Seeing that I'm the one always taking the photos, I doubt you'll see any of me...like we RARELY see any of you on your blog!!!!!! Anyhow, no way, no how was I going to be photographed in that suit!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home