UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Better breathing...but more tests.

It seems that my shortness of breath is getting better. Guess the antibiotic my husband prescribed and the steroids my radiation oncologist prescribed actually did something. I'm not having trouble climbing stairs anymore. However, my running is still less than desirable, as I tried to go for a little jog last weekend. I say try, because I found myself stopping every 5 minutes to catch my breath, running only for a total of 20 minutes, and only downhill or on flat land. I'm going to try again to get out there tomorrow. Hopefully I can do better.



My husband ran into my oncologist at the hospital on Monday. He told her about my recent breathing issues, so she immediately ordered a heart scan...called a MUGA. It's what they did before chemo to make sure my heart could handle it. With radiation and chemo, there's always concern about heart damage. I had the scan yesterday, and today my oncologist called. All is good! No broken heart!



She now wants me to have a PET scan. My whole body will be scanned for cancer (I think). I had it done when I was first diagnosed. I wasn't supposed to have another scan until August, but for some reason my onocologist wants to go ahead and do it now.



If all is clear on my PET Scan (let's pray!), I'll have a very minor surgery to have this Port removed. I wasn't going to have it removed until I was put under for my reconstruction, but since that won't occur for quite some time, it's best to have this foreign object removed sooner. I'll be so happy to have this ugly thing protruding from below my neck like an odd bone gone for good. It was great to have for chemo...but now I have no need for it!



With all that said, I humbly as for prayers for a cancer free scan!

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 4:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

me too - i'll be thinking of you.

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

Glad to hear the heart scan was all good. Praying for more good news with the PET scan.

 
At 7:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Got your back with prayer for sure!

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger IrishMommy said...

I totally agree with Kimberly... Jogging doesn't sound that bad if we can take a break every 5 minutes! I'm sure by the end of the summer you will be back to your usual marathon running status. You are amazing and May God answer our prayers for a cancer free friend!

P.S. Have fun on the field trip today!

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Jaye said...

Praying for you always (Phil. 1:3). Good to hear that you won't need that port anymore! It must be a wonderful feeling to know that!

Eph. 3:20 - "Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,"

Love & hugs!

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger momo said...

this all sounds like really positive proactive stuff on your doctor's part.

i will definitely be praying for you!! big hugs.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

Praying for you!!!

When do you get your results?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home