UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Still being zapped


I originally began this post this morning stating that after today, I'd be halfway done with radiation. I was so excited to finally be able to say this.

But then I actually met with the doctor today and made sure that I'd only be radiated 28 times. He confirmed this, but then went on to say that after those 28 treatments, if my skin is okay, I'll have 6 more that just focus on the scar area.

"So it's more than 28?" I asked.
"Yes," he said, "but the last six are only the scar area, a really small area." (as if that was any consolation).

Maybe medically that's significant, but to me, it still involves the 90 min to 2 hour interruption in my day (including travel and waiting time) that I must plan around. It means I'll be doing this through the end of March. It means I can't plan any trips out of this frozen tundra.

It means I'm NOT halfway done.

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If leaving the frozen tundra is out....what about more DANCING!?!?
:-) Something to party at the end this "marathon"

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger cg said...

Ah (((Hugs))) to you Cari. And I agree, why dont you plan an amazing trip for April? In celebration for running to the end of this gruelling marathon?

 
At 5:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari..........you plan and I will be there to watch the kiddos. If Dad can't make it, I can bet that some other family member would love to join me in Minnesota. Little miracles happen everyday. My love, hugs and kisses. Mom xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

I was going to write something else, but then read your mom's comment. She is so sweet. You are so fortunate to have such wonderful parents, family and friends. When it gets tough, remember your blessings.

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger wiferhood said...

..."{L}et us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." Heb 12: 1b-2

I know you are tired Cari but you have come so far and met this challenge head on. Oftentimes, you have referred to your chemo treatments as running a marathon. You are on the home stretch. The last few miles. Everyone is cheering you on. You can and will make it to the finish line!!!

Virtual Hugs!

 
At 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Cari-
How about an amazing April/May vacation to.... Utah! Just kidding- I think you and Melvin should go to the beach somewhere for a weekend. Miss you-
L

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger mi said...

That must have been so disheartening to learn. Well, look ahead to April, and know this won't last forever. It's certainly a royal pain, but limited.

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

You are doing great! Like others have said, you are on the home stretch...think to the day that you will remember this time in your life as a distant memory. Somewhere warm...Fuji, Maui, somewhere...

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger Caro said...

I'm sorry.

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger Madelaine said...

Having finished off my grueling radiation with the 'spot treatment' = let me tell you that it WILL be a breeze in comparison to what you are going through now! Tabsmom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home