UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Friday, February 22, 2008

Food for thought

It’s funny how we all live in our own little “boxes” and forget that not everyone lives like you do. For example, I thought that leaving my house at 6:30 in the morning for a doctor’s appointment was ridiculously early. I assumed that the roads would be empty. Well, I was wrong. A LOT of people are on their way to work that early in the morning, every single day. I hit quite a bit of traffic, nothing stopping, but a few areas that slowed down quite a bit.

Yesterday, in addition to my early morning appointment, I also had a late afternoon appointment with a Dietician. She was wonderful. Very realistic. Not trying to push any agenda. Just giving me good, solid, information about the foods to eat to try to prevent more cancer growth. (This is not to be confused with “curing” cancer. There is no magic cure. ) She also runs marathons, so of course I like her!

I’ve heard a lot of different information from a variety of sources and people when it comes to diet and products causing/fueling cancer. I’m pretty skeptical about everything and never really know what to believe. Because in reality, if all these different products/foods cause cancer…then why don’t we all have cancer? So it was great to be able to talk to someone who researches this for a living. She discussed the different studies where people are getting such information and how the studies may not be so reliable. Not only did she let me know that sugar does not feed cancer cells….it feeds all cells, she also told me that drinking water out of plastic bottles will not cause cancer (although it is bad for the environment); as long as you don’t heat anything in the plastic bottles/containers, you’re okay. Should I be interested, she gave me a list of products that I should buy organic, and another list of foods where organic doesn’t really make a difference. Considering how much organic fruits and veggies cost, I valued this information.

She also gave me some solid, research-based, sources to turn to if I do have questions or want to read more information to make educated decisions with regard to my diet and cancer. These include, in case you’re interested, A Dietician’s Cancer Story, by Diana Dyer MS, RD, www.cancerrd.com; and www.caring4cancer.com by Suzanne Dixon MS, MPH, RD; and The New American Plate Cookbook from the American Institute of Cancer Research.

If anyone wants more information, I’d be happy to post some of what she gave me, and you, too, might want to incorporate some of her suggestions into your own diet.

(As I’m writing this, I’m munching on a piece of Papa John’s Pepperoni and Sausage Pizza….not on her list of recommendations!).

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 8:58 PM, Blogger Fantastic Four said...

Ask Tom about early...he is already at work by 6 am every morning. Anyways, I would love more information on foods to avoid and foods to eat more of! I am clueless when it comes to nutrition foods that are "cancer" good foods! I will also check out your sites you mentioned!

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger LH said...

Your ending bit made me laugh.

thanks for sharing some of this info from your dietician.

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger AnnD said...

I would love the list of good organic items to buy - I have seen a list previously, but can't find it now.

How about organic meat? Would also love to hear if she had anything to say about organic milk? [Canada has a very different milk supply system than the US - so would love to know why Americans should, or should not drink organic milk. Then, I can apply it to Canada's standards.]

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Undomestic said...

Ann,
She said that if my cancer was Estrogen positive I would want hormone free milk and meats. Now miy kind of cancer is hormone recepter negative (Triple Negative), so it wouldn't matter for me. But I've started doing organic meat and milk if it's available where I'm shopping.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home