UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Growing Boys


Today Cameron had his 5 year old check-up. We were both very nervous about this since he was going to have to get his immunizations. Last year Cameron had a complete breakdown and wouldn't stop screaming after they gave him a shot. And yesterday he started crying just thinking about the pain he was going to have to endure again. You see, Cameron cries his eyes out for any little scratch, so an actual puncture into his skin is pure torture according to him. Plus, it didn't help that one of his friends (who is only four) told him that the 5 year old shots hurt really, really bad.

I'm so pleased to report that he did incredibly well. Which was really a relief, because with Ella fussing since we waited over 20 minutes for the doctor to arrive , and Max cranky the entire time we were in the office because he feared his turn to have his ears checked (yet again) was coming up, I physically was not going to be able to comfort him, and mentally I don’t know how I was going to be able to handle more screaming. The nurse gave him the shot and had him count with her as she was doing it. Cameron started to wince but the counting stopped him from crying, and then we all just cheered and laughed. The second shot went just as well. I was really proud of him.

Max also had a “big boy” moment. As he often does, while being dressed, he ran off before I could put on his shorts and I didn’t have the energy to chase him. So he spent most of the morning in a t-shirt and a diaper, until it somehow dropped to his ankles. I decided to just put him on the toilet to see if he could produce anything. He’s had some moments on the potty, but would sit there for a mere second, then proclaim to be “All Done!” and clap for himself. Today he crawled up on the porcelain bowl, which in itself is an interesting sight to view. Just like his brother did at his age, Max prefers to climb up and balance himself on the big pot, as opposed to a toddler-size one. The way he does it makes you think he’s going to fall in, but he manages to stay above water. Today, he actually started to pee. He looked at the stream coming out and started cracking up so loud that he halted his urine. Then he continued, and again, couldn’t stop laughing. It took four attempts to finally finish peeing in between all his giggling.

When the day comes when he actually poops in the toilet, I fear he’ll laugh so hard he really will fall in.

3 Comments:

At 5:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

'scuse me but your last two posts included no photos of Ella. please make the proper adjustments in future posts, thank you that is all.

-scott

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Undomestic said...

I do hope you have a girl. Even though it wasn't my original intent, I included a picture of Miss Ella in my next post...just for you!

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger BabelBabe said...

will they use the seats that sit on top of the big-people toilet? none of my guys would use a potty chair - which when i thought about it was just fine. what's the difference between cleaning a poopy diaper and cleaning out a poopy potty pot? the seats do the trick, and then we FLUSH. yay!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home