UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

And so they came

We've lived in Minnesota for 5 years. And everytime we're in Detroit, someone tells us they're coming to visit us in the summer. Yeah, great! But we don't hold our breath. Melvin and I started saying that when we see them on our doorstep, then we'll believe them.

Well, this weekend, some of Melvin's Detroit family members were on our doorstep. Over 30 of them!!!!And although we knew they were coming, we didn't know so many were coming until later Friday afternoon. And the first group showed up 2 hours earlier than expected. Imagine my surprise as 20+ people, many I didn't recognize or know, came filing through the door. My mother-in-law said she wished she had a camera to show the look on my face. My husband had just left to do rounds at the hospital and go shopping for various supplies that we needed for the crowd (drinks, chairs, food, etc).

One might think the weekend would have been very hectic with so many people. But in actuality, it was quite relaxing for me. His family likes to BBQ and cook, so when we didn't cater in, that was taken care of. As the day and night went on, different people chipped in to clean up. The younger ones cleaned and vacuumed the movie and toyroom. And best of all, my kids were completely preoccupied. There was always someone wanting to hold Ella or run around with Cameron or goof off with Max. I could actually sit down on my new deck furniture, sip some margaritas and enjoy myself and my company.

Now don't get me wrong, I really don't want 30 people knocking on my door every weekend. I'm not one to keep such late hours as we did this past weekend. And I'm all for naps and personal downtime. But it sure was nice to have the company, and I hope people come back soon. This blogger is messed up and will only let me post 3 pictures right now, so I'll share more in a later post.

3 Comments:

At 6:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari, what nice memories you will have of the 2006 4th of July week end. Family is great cause you don't have to really entertain, just have some food and room and the rest takes care of itself! Your hearts desire for a family visit just came all at once instead of individual family visits. You are so lucky to be a part of a large family.

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

Followed babelbabe's links to here. The idea of that many of my family members in my house frightens me! But it sounds like yours actually gave you some time off and pitched in to help. That's great.

 
At 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cari,
The food,fun, and family getting together was really great!I had a ball. I'm sure the kids enjoyed the Marshmallo roasts, the slip n' slide, movies, and the fireworks display you planned for them, it's good to include child activities in the festivities but sometimes "we" forget. Fun was had by all and I'm sure they will never forget it...but rest up, the other side of the family will be there at the end of the month. My side of the family is mostly female, his fathers' side is comprised of mostly males and I don't see a lot of domestic help coming from that direction. They love to cook too, but they don't do the cleaning so well. Surprise... me, Brenda, and Gina will be returning for that, you see they are "my girls" and I'm on bothh sides of the family. See you soon, and Cari have those Margaritas chilling. lol Rosalyn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home