UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Friday, July 21, 2006

Cooking 101

My dear friend Libby (who seems to make everything from scratch due to her son's food allergies) asked me if I ever cooked.



Well, that really does depend on ones definition of "cook."

I've made it quite clear to my friends that I'm no Martha Stewart, nor do I ever aspire to be. Cooking, cleaning, making cute crafts....not my thing. BUT, it's not like we order out every night, nor do I ever serve frozen TV dinners. Last night I made some corn (frozen of course), some rice (the boil in a bag kind) and pork loin chops...browning them in a skillet with some poultry spice. I even added some basalmic wine sauce (made from some powder packet). So it' s not like I'm a total klutz in the kitchen.

But the reason my friend asked if I ever cooked was because she has a garden (gardening...yet another domestic skill I don't posses), and she had grown some HUGE zuchinni (her degree is in agriculture) that she was looking to give away.

Sure I'll take it, I said excitedly, as if I had some great plans for it.


So now it sits on my counter top, awaiting my culinary attention. I'm not even sure if I like zuchinni! Someone sent me a recipe for zuchinni bread, but I'll have more left over. Another person told me to season it and grill it...except I'd have no idea when it would be cooked thoroughly, and I'd probably end up charing the green monster.

Any other ideas of what I'm supposed to do with this oversized vegetable? Send them my way!

4 Comments:

At 9:13 PM, Blogger IrishMommy said...

I second Kimberly suggestion for slicing the Zucch and just salt, pepper and butter in a foil pack on the grill for about 10 minutes does the job. You need to try my bread recipe... SOOOOOO good, my husband thinks its better than dessert. If you mess up the one you have - I have 3 more jumbos sitting in my kitchen from my garden. Practice makes perfect!

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger mi said...

Grilled zucchini is da bomb!! Enjoy learning a new easy method!

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Caro said...

I like to sautee it in a pan until it's soft. Then I mix in some pico de gallo (store bought. I'm not that ambitious) and heat it through. It gives it some kick and some color.

The little kids won't eat it so it's all mine. Yay!

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger BabelBabe said...

I like zucchini casserole. Hot, cold, or in-between.

if you would like the recipe, just email me (babelbabe(at)comcast.net

I don't want to clutter up your comments space with a huge recipe. it's easy but there are a lot of ingredients.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home