UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Saturday, June 24, 2006

What a solution

Almost every Friday we have pizza. I order Papa John's and they deliver it to our door. Since I usually pay by credit card over the phone, Cameron doesn't actually ever see me pay for the pizza.

The other day our electricity was out. Despite the number of books and toys Cameron has, he flopped down on the family room floor and lamented how bored he was since he couldn't watch TV or play on his computer.

I told him about how a long, long time ago people did not ever have electricity and what did he think they did? He was quite fascinated by this fact and kept asking me what else they didn't have a long time ago. I finally pulled out one of those Century in Pictures books that came out around the millenium. I had ordered some for my classroom. He was just enthralled by the pictures and asked me with each one what it was showing.

One of the pictures was of a LONG line of men, trying to get a job, during the time of the depression. I told Cameron that there was a time when a lot of people couldn't get jobs and didn't even have money to feed their family.

His reaction, "Well Mom, why didn't they just call up and order pizza from Papa John's?!?"

Oh how times have changed.

3 Comments:

At 9:13 PM, Blogger BabelBabe said...

It's such a kid thing. My kids always want to go to the neighborhood coffee shop for hot chocolate. I finally said in exasperation one day, "I don't have any cash!" And they looked at me and said, "Well, go the the money machine and get some!" Sigh. I guess I should be happy that I have kept them innocent this long : )

On another note, Primo is really into the Titanic right now. How do you deal with broaching sad topics? Like the people without jobs, or the people who died on the Titanic? It's so hard to know what to say and how detailed to be...

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Undomestic said...

The book Cameron is looking at is really too mature for him. And as he got to WWI, I had a hard time explaining War. Although he plays "fighting," he didn't really get that real people do actually kill each other in war. I don't think I explained it very well, because he kept asking questions. I finally just said that I didn't want to talk about war anymore. He also saw a Titanic picture. I just told him that the boat sank and a lot of people died.

I think I need to go to one of the local children's book stores to see if there's a more age appropriate photo history book.

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Caro said...

That's so funny!

I love the way kids see things.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home