UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Monday, April 10, 2006

Hot temperature, Hotter tempers

Lately I've just really been, well, to put it bluntly, sucking as a mom. I'm not trying to, but it seems I've not been too in tune with my children's needs.

Take the incident with Cameron today. It was finally warm and sunny, reaching over 70 degrees. I just wanted to scream "Hallelujah!" everytime I heard someone say the temp. But with warm temperatures comes a warm car when you initially enter it.

I picked the boys up from school, and we drove home in the minivan...me in the front, Ella in the middle and the two monsters in the back. As I was driving, Cameron started squealing, "I'm hot! I'm hot!" and was trying to remove his shirt, which is a difficult shirt to take off, and he couldn't accomplish this task.

"Just hold on Cameron, I'm turning up the air conditioner. It will start to cool off."

Without giving the air a chance to circulate, he continued complaining, this time with screams and ridiculous amounts of crying. "But I'm so hot!" Sob. Sob. Sob.

So I cranked the air some more, yet the crying continued even louder. I couldn't understand what the problem was, for I was quite cool. And neither Max nor Ella was complaining (but they were both sleeping). Nothing I did or said lessened his cries. I yelled, I threatened, I kept quiet, I turned up the music...but he just kept crying incessantly about how hot he was.

When we arrived home, Cameron was approached by two neighborhood friends to see if he wanted to come over and play. To me, this was the perfect opportunity for a consequence. He needed to learn that he couldn't act as he was acting and still get to do whatever he wanted. I kindly told them that Cameron was having a hard time and that he needed to go in his room to settle down, and once he did that, then he might be joining them on this lovely day.

Well, this in no way, shape, or form motivated Cameron to calm down, but rather created an even bigger tantrum, this time from his bedroom. And once he finally did settle down, his friends had already left for a bike ride...without him.

Later that day when I was picking something up with only Max and Ella in the car, after arriving home, I noticed how flushed Max looked...and I also noticed how incredibly warm it really did feel in the back of the van.

It was then that I noticed that the temperature controls located in the back of the van were set for last week's temperatures...meaning the temperature knob was turned all the way to the hottest setting. So as I was turning up the vent in the front, producing cool air up front, I was actually cranking up the hot air in the back.

Like I said, lately, I suck as a mom.

6 Comments:

At 11:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No you don't!!!!! These days...along with owning a nice brand new up-to-date car comes too many complications...TEMPERATURE CONTROLS IN THE BACK SEAT???...too much to think about. By the way, I'm so proud of the mom that you've become.

xo

 
At 5:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nancy took the words right out of my mouth. Our lives are not always simplified with the many conveniences we now have. What ever happened to opening the window!!!

 
At 6:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You need to quit saying that you suck as a mom....we all suck at times....thats when God comes in and picks up the pieces...and we all know...we have LOTS of pieces for Him to pick up in ALL of our kids lives!!

Love, Dana

 
At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whose standards are you trying to live up to? We all have our bad days - we just have to learn from them and move on. Like Dana said, God is there to help and pick up the pieces - let Him do the hard work for you! He'll lovingly guide you as to what is best for you and for your children. Proverbs is a great book to read - contains a lot of information for parents and children! Cut yourself some slack....you're doing great!

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger LH said...

I shouldn't laugh at this, but I couldn't help it. It will seem funnier as time passes, I'm sure.

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Undomestic said...

Thanks for all the kind encouragement. Today was a much better day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home