UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Friday, December 30, 2005

No rest for the weary.

I wonder how sleep deprived one must be before he/she snaps? I think I'm testing that limit, with no end in sight.

Last night was the worst yet. Between 11:00 and 2:30, Max was up at least 4 times. He has a really bad cold and is getting over an ear infection (he needs tubes, but that's another post), and lately he just hasn't been sleeping well. Last night, despite tries to get him to sleep next to us in our bed, or on his little fold-out couch next to our bed, Max just wouldn't calm down. I ended up sleeping with him on the couch in our family room for a few hours...until about 3:30, when Cameron pranced down the stairs to wake me up to tell me that he had gum stuck in his hair (and it was smeared all over his face).

"WHAT?!?" I whispered loudly, as Max was snoozing on my chest.
"I have gum stuck in my hair," Cameron whined.
"How did that happen?" I asked.
"I don't know," he whimpered.

I put Max to bed while Cameron waited for me in the kitchen.

"Now why were you chewing gum in bed?" I demanded to know.
"Because I was hungry," Cameron replied.
And before I could get really mad at him, he added the sweetest, gentlest most sincere, "Soooorrrryyyy."

Luckily I actually knew where some scissors were and I cut the gum out of his hair, scrubbed it off his face (not an easy task), and took the gum infested sheets and pillowcase off his bed.

Just as I was finishing with him and ambling back to my room with my eyes barely open, Ella started crying. And so began her "up and down" routine for the rest of the morning.

Somehow I managed to make it through Cameron's "playdate" this morning. (A mom and 3 of her kids came over). Right now the two youngest are snoozing, so I'm going to try to do the same. Good night....or good afternoon.

2 Comments:

At 3:37 PM, Blogger LH said...

geezlouise...I remember the sleep deprivation doing some pretty weird things to my brain. It's a torture technique for a reason.
Keep blogging (and sleeping) whenever you can! Sending good thoughts your way.

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Undomestic said...

Thanks lh!!!! I got a 1/2 hour nap this afternoon before realizing the driveway (with 5 inches of heavy snow) needed my attention. I couldn't sleep because I kept thinking about it. Feels good to do some physical activity, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home