UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Camper Cameron


I’ve noticed that I haven’t written much about my oldest son lately. That’s because this week he hasn’t been around much as he’s been in day camp with his friend Ben. At first he thought it was an overnight camp and did not want to go. But once he heard it was just during the day he was excited.

The morning of his first day, he was up bright and early, ready to get going. I handed him some clothes to put on.

“But Mommy, at camp you’re supposed to wear brown clothes with badges!”

“What?” I asked, having no clue what he was talking about.

“When people go to camp, they wear brown shirts and there are badges on them.”

It was then that I realized he was talking about the Scouts, which he knows a little about because the boys across the street belong to them.

“No Cameron, that’s if you’re a Cub Scout. But you’re not going to Cub Scout camp. You’re just going to a regular camp.”

“But why aren’t I going to Cub Scout camp?”

“Because Cub Scouts is a club that you belong to when you’re in first grade.”

“So I’m going to Club Scout camp?”

“No! You’re just going to a regular Day Camp. It’s called the YMCA Day Camp.”

“Oh,” he responded, a bit disappointed that he wouldn’t be collecting any badges.
But the whole rest of the day, whenever he talked about camp, he referred to it as the Y…M…C…A Day Camp, pausing between each letter, making sure he said the full name.

This week he had the opportunity to do fun things like hiking, canoeing, swimming, gym games and archery. Yes, they put bows and arrows into the hands of 6 year olds. Cameron said he didn’t even get it on the target. I’m glad I wasn’t around to see that.

He also participated in the daily Opening and Closing ceremonies. The past few days kids volunteered to share some talent that they had that maybe other kids wouldn’t be able to do…..2 boys burped their ABCS, one girl did fart sounds with her knee, and another camper made her eyeballs shiver. Cameron volunteered today and showed everyone how he could cross his eyes. Such honorable talents!

Anyhow, even though he’s incredibly exhausted by the end of the day, he’s having a blast, and even wants to do another week later on in the summer. And I’m sure after a month of him being around everyday, wanting to be entertained constantly, I’ll be more than happy to do the early morning drive and send him back to the Y..M..C..A Day Camp.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 6:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Cam looks so much older in that picture of him running! He's all legs! Looks like a future record-holder in distance running! :-)

 
At 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet you his 800 time would be even faster if his mom wasn't yelling at him to get a photo every time he ran by!

-s

 
At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would totally make him a eye-crossing badge to wear if we weren't moving this week. i think its very noble.

-gwen

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Caro said...

Now that's a talent show!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home