UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Friday, November 24, 2006

Yummy

I discovered something new about myself yesterday. I actually like to cook. I spent the whole day in the kitchen, and I actually enjoyed myself. Melvin entertained the kids outside (high 50s in Minnesota during this time of year is quite an anomaly….and must be enjoyed outdoors)

I cooked a turkey for the first time...well sorta. It wasn’t a whole turkey, just the breast part, but still with the little cavity for stuffing. It didn’t turn out so great…but we’re not big turkey eaters. For us, it’s all about the sides. And my lack of measuring utensils didn’t seem to affect my culinary skills.

I made my special sweet potato casserole…very yummy, and my black-eyed peas and ham…which I don’t eat, but Melvin said were delicious. I made my mother-in-law’s macaroni and cheese, and Melvin gave me the ultimate compliment, telling me it was just like his mothers. To which I responded that he obviously hadn’t had his mother’s mac and cheese in a while, because I could never make mine as good as hers. I also made some killer green beans (which is what they were actually called on blackrecipes.com). I didn’t quite have all the ingredients, so I improvised, adding ham, breakfast sausage and using chicken stock, with a little crushed red pepper, and they were awesome!!!!! (not as good as my husband’s grandfather’s…but Melvin said I’m giving him a run for his money). Then I defrosted some greens that my mother-in-law made last time she was here, and I used Stove Top and Pillsbury to help out with the stuffing and rolls. My husband even said to me at one point, “When did you learn how to cook?” Not sure if that was completely a compliment or not, but I guess I could take it as one.

I did discover the real reason I usually don’t like to cook……when you’re all done, there’s a MESS to clean up. And some of it is still sitting in my sink now.

Overall, despite the fact that we weren’t around family, the day was pretty nice. Melvin’s new partner came over for dinner, and she helped out tremendously with the kiddos. It was so warm at night, we even had a bonfire and roasted marshmallows. Then the kids watched a movie, and were in bed by 8:00, so that the adults could focus all their attention on Grey’s Anatomy. What a perfect way to end the day!

We are truly so blessed, and so thankful for all that God has given us.

2 Comments:

At 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job on dinner. I'm sure it was delicious. Max is your husband and must say complimentary things. But the string beans, I don't know Cari. No body can cook a string bean like Melvin Porties. Many have tried....none have succeeded. Happy Thanksgiving!

I think I am going to visit the blackrecipes.com site and see what I can come up with. Dinner has been so boring lately. Maybe it will give me some ideas. Kisses and Hugs to all.

 
At 6:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You ROCK, Cari! All the really good cooks don't need measuring spoons! And I agree, it is all about the sides.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home