UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Memeorable Marathon (and other) moments

Breakfast for five costing over $100!

Finding fabulous pink and white Nike shirts for us all to wear on marathon day, and having them printed on the back with “Run for Chocolate.” – and then hearing all the comments from people telling us they loved our shirts.


Seeing all the purple Team in Training runners with pictures of the kids and adults who suffered from or were suffering from Leukemia or Lymphoma on the back of their shirts. Truly inspiring. (over the 3 years of this race, over 40 million dollars has been raised for this charity).

Beautiful Views of the Golden Gate bridge with fog hovering below it.

Running by buffalo.

Running uphill, a lot.

Seeing my friend’s mom, son and husband at mile 11 so that I could get some relief with the Advil they were holding for me.

When nearing the half-way mark, the half-marathoners ran in a different direction. I overheard one woman saying to another as she motioned toward us idiots doing the full 26.2, “Oh I feel sorry for them.”

One woman carrying a sign that said, “Hurry up. I heard they’re running out of necklaces.” (finishers received a Tiffany designed necklace at the end).

One guy we saw a half dozen times along the route holding out a small 5” x 5” sign that just said “Go!” He didn’t say anything, just stared at all of us with a silly grin and pointed to his sign. It was very cute.

Feeling the power of my friends’ prayers at mile 20 when I found some unexplainable sense of energy allowing me to pick up the pace.

Having flowers handed to us at Mile 23.

Running with my sister and seeing her finish her first marathon.

The finish line!!!!!


Getting a Tiffany necklace from men in tuxes.

Men buying beer for Lanette’s husband, trying to pick him up

Drinking 3 chocolate martinis, a lemon drop shot and some Japanese drink in the hotel bar…and then suffering greatly for it the next day.

Tipsy conversations with Lanette and Gayle at the hotel bar.

Seeing my friend look fabulous in her new “hair”

Driving in the city, with CRAZY STEEP hills!

Beaded jewelry being sold on every corner.

Shopping galore in downtown.

8 Comments:

At 3:10 PM, Blogger mi said...

The one about your sister brought tears to my eyes.

I remember my sense of accomplishment when I did a 50 mile walk for breast cancer. I can only imagine how you felt RUNNING a marathon. Be so proud of yourself. The rest of us sure are.

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Undomestic said...

Thanks mi. Awesome that you did that walk!!!

No Gayle, I'm not that tall...only 5'6"...Lanette is just that short!!!

 
At 10:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's so great, Cari!!!! I'm so proud of all of you...what an accomplishment!!!! And I had the nerve to complain yesterday about having to walk 3 miles.

 
At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cari,

Where did you get those pictures from.....were they taken by Randy or the people at the race?? Can I get one anywhere?

Dana

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Undomestic said...

dana,
You should have received an e-mail directing you to the pictures they took of you during the race. You can then order the ones you want from the company. They're protected, and you can't actually copy or paste them, nor download them, but I spent way too much time figuring a method for at least using them on my blog without paying. I'll probably order some, too. Call me and I'll explain more.

 
At 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! Cari...any advice for someone who wants to run a marathon but has no clue where to begin? I would love to run a half marathon, I just need to learn to like to run, or should I say have the power in my mind to complete the run!!!! CONGRADULATIONS!!!!

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger cg said...

Well done again !! You look stunning on all your photos. Like it was just a piece of chocolate and not a serious marathon!

 
At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari,
These pictures are sure an improvement over the cross counrty days in high school where you are crawling across the finish line. Good Job! That what life is alll about always improving. Your form has improved, maybe you should send the pictures to Randy(your coach) so he can see the fruits of his labors. Ha Ha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home