UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

26.2

Conversation on the phone with Cameron after the race:

“Mom, who won?”

“I didn’t find out what her name was yet.”

“Did you come in second?”

“No Cameron, I didn’t come in second.”

“Did you come in third?”

“No.”

“Did you come in fourth?”

“No Cameron, I didn’t. I don’t know what place I came in yet.”

“Did you come in last place?”

“No Cameron, I didn’t come in last place.”

“Well, what did you come in then?”

“I’m not sure. There were thousands of people in the race. Maybe I came in around two thousand or something.”

“Two thousand? Mom, that’s REALLY last place.”

Later I discovered that out of the 4000 runners who did the marathon (almost 8000 did the half marathon), I came 1450th place, running it in 4 hours 55 minutes. It was about half hour longer than I expected, but the winner ran it in 3:10, and that's about a half hour longer than what winners usually run it in, so I didn't feel so bad. The beginning was incredibly slow and crowded, and the hills were long and plentiful! But I finished, and I felt good. Thank you for all the thoughts, prayers and well-wishes. More on the San Fran trip to follow.


7 Comments:

At 2:32 PM, Blogger IrishMommy said...

Did you run the entire race like a girl? What is that in the photo? Congratulations!

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Undomestic said...

Since it was the Nike Women's Marathon, the whole theme was ....like a girl. Everything was labeled...run like a girl, shop like a girl, relax like a girl, etc. Cute. Even our finisher's t-shirts say "RAN like a girl." The wall was actually a window on the 7 story Nike store in San Fransisco that listed everyname of the registerd runners. Mine was too high to capture a photo of, but I did see it. It was cool, and eerie, because it reminded me of the Vietnam Memorial Wall in D.C. But to see all those names of all those women running and the millions of dollars that was raised to prevent leukemia and lymphoma was amazing.

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger mi said...

Cari,
Good job lady!!!! Whoo hoo! That is fantastic.

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger KC said...

Great job, Cari!!!

Love the photo.

 
At 10:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari--
Thank you for running for leukemia and lymphoma. As you know, Talisha lost her battle with that disease over 20 years ago. You never had the opportunity to meet her but on behalf of the Williamson clan, we thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

You did an awesome job! Way to go!

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger cg said...

Well done !! We are so very proud of you! wow running non stop for nearly three hours, that really is something

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Wow. Congratulations! I can't even run around the block.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home