UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Saturday, February 23, 2008

And the weekend means...another illness

I thought about taking my kids outside today. I know it's not 50 degrees..the temperature I have deemed as outside playtime doable. But it is 32 degrees...and that means it's not negative anything. And my kids need to get outside so badly. A little sledding down our side hill would do them well.

However, Cameron, who I thought had recovered from his vomitting of last weekend, woke up with 101.3 fever. With my husband on call, we now won't be doing anything but hanging out inside. These random illnesses are getting quite ridiculous!

Here's my organic food list given to me by the dietician.

WHEN TO CONSIDER BUYING ORGANIC FOODS
(Source: Environmental Working Group Report Card: Pesticides in Produce)

Most Contaminated Foods--Consider purchasing these organic
Apples
Bell Peppers
Celery
Cherries
Imported Grapes
Nectarines
Peaches
Pears
Potatoes
Red Raspberries
Spinach
Strawberries

Least Contaminated Foods -- Not as essential to purchase organic
Asparagus
Avocados
Bananas
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Sweet Corn
Kiwi
Mangos
Onions
Papaya
Pineapples
Sweet Peas

I REALLY wish Strawberries were on the 2nd list. Those things are $8 when organic...and I buy strawberries all the time!

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 6:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been told carrots absorb surrouding elements extremely well also...so those might go on the first list.

-s

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

Sorry to hear the "bug" is still lingering in your house. Hope Cameron feels better soon and the rest of you stay healthy.

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Caro said...

Organic foods are so darn $$$$.

What if you buy one of those special fruit/vegetable washes to clean them in?

Does that help?

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Undomestic said...

Caro,
My dietician said that if you can't/don't do organic, it's really important to wash the fruits and veggies well. I just bought one of those spray wash things myself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home