UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Friday, February 15, 2008

Zapped

The “Burn” step in my doctor’s “Slash-Poison-Burn” method for destroying this cancer began yesterday.

Radiation.

I was a little nervous going into this therapy. Just the whole newness of it, and the not knowing how my body will react to it made me more anxious than I thought I’d be.

And then when I show up for my appointment to a fairly empty office (at 5:45 in the evening), the two techs were men. I know it shouldn’t matter, and they were very professional, but when you’re lying on a table, with your arms above your head, completely exposed, and they keep having to touch you to reposition you…well, it was just really creepy. I’m sure I’ll get used to it, though.

The actual treatment isn’t that bad, in that nothing is painful or anything. But I do have to lie completely still for over 25 minutes with my arms positioned over my head. About 10 minutes into the radiation, my arms begin to tingle and get numb. It’s a horrible feeling, but one that I have to just try to tune out, because my natural instinct is to get the arm moving and the blood flowing, but instead I have to just think of something else.

I have 28 of these treatments, every weekday.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 7:30 AM, Blogger Ann said...

Oh goodness - I forgot about you!

Glad it wasn't too bad. You are a source of much unfortunate knowledge now.

The idea of lying still, undisturb, I have to admit still has its advantages.

What happens after the burn - then are you done for a little while. When are you declared cancer free?

Really, thinking of you!

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger mi said...

Hang in there. These are limited to 28, and you can totally do this!! If the male factor discomforts you, maybe ask if they could staff a female?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home