UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Sunday, June 08, 2008

Running with Mickey

Part of getting back to my regular life involves running....a marathon.

My friend Lanette got me interested in running long way back in 2000. That's when I completed my first marathon...The Suzuki Rock N Roll Marathon in San Diego.

Ever since that year, when I haven't been having babies, we've run a marathon together. In addition to the Rock N Roll Marathon, we've run Twin Cities, Chicago and the Nike Women's Marathon in San Fransisco (Lanette has run a couple more). Lanette, my sister Dana, and I were supposed to run the Marine Corps marathon last fall, but well, cancer sorta knocked that run off our racing circuit.

We don't run fast. We even walk when we need to. We're not out to break any records...or to qualify for Boston. But we're fine with that. We spend our race talking, telling stories, and catching up...especially since we now live 1000 miles away. We have fun.

So once I got this breathing issue under control and figured out when I'd be having my reconstructive surgery(probably mid/end of January), I just had to find the soonest marathon I could be prepared to run. Just so that I could feel like I'm back to normal (although I know many people who wouldn't consider running a marathon normal).

On January 11th, I'll be running the Disney Marathon. Lanette and Dana will be joining me. The course works its way through all the big parks, and we even get to run through the big Magic Kingdom castle. My mom and husband will be running the 5K, and we're going to register Cameron for the mile run.

It should be a lot of fun. Anyone want to join us?

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 2:40 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

We've been thinking of going to Disney in early Jan...now we have an excuse! I'd love to come cheer you on. Maybe I'll run the 5k. We'll see.

 
At 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cari!

You can probably already guess that Lanette(Cookie) has already tried to coax me into going! Kind of unsure, Ella is a better runner than I am right about now!

Gayle

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Jaye said...

Perhaps - got a text from sis (Lanette) about this. If I can get a sub for my Zumba classes, and actually find time to run, perhaps I'll do the 1/2 marathon (less training time needed and less wear and tear on my body). With the heat wave now, I could start some treadmill training....

Also, I'll have to see how the $$$ runs, since i have two "travel" weddings in August. Hopefully, I'll have them paid off before the end of the year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home