UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Still in pain

Things I've learned today:

There are a lot of farms between the Twin Cities and Rochester, Minnesota.

The Mayo clinic down here is like a giant posh hotel.

Just because you're at a place where a lot of people have cancer, doesn't mean the employees working there are sensitive to this fact. And when checking your ID, they just might say something stupid like, "Oh, you got your haircut."

My surgeon is good...really good. According to the neuro-oncologist who saw us today, the surgery Dr. Kennedy did was actually quite difficult. And the fact that he was able to remove all the tumor without causing major brain damage was quite amazing.

Dr. Ohm, the neuro-oncolgist, also believes I should have a spinal tap (or lumbar puncture, as doctor's call it). He doesn't believe I have cancer in the spine, but this test should mostly rule it out. It's scheduled for tomorrow. He told me that if nothing else, the test could give me peace of mind (except that's what my oncologist said when ordering my brain scan...yikes!).

I'm still in awe of and so thankful for my husband and his knowledge of all things medical.

The doctors here aren't sure what exactly is causing my headaches either. In addition to testing for cancer cells in my spinal fluid, they are doing a test tomorrow that checks for a fungus in my brain, which might be the pain culprit. Doesn't that sound funny...fungus of in the brain!

In addition to having tests done tomorrow, I'll also be seeing an oncologist, to discuss treatment options, especially chemotherapy options.

Let's hope I get some answers tomorrow, and that all the tests lead to no more cancer.

10 Comments:

At 8:03 PM, Blogger jkhenson said...

Prayers, prayers and more prayers are headed out for you. Glad you have a great hubby. Sounds like it helps! Here's to all wonderful news/results and smiles for you!
Hugs!

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger KC said...

good work, cari. i'm so grateful that you have melvin and the best doctors working for you!

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger mi said...

Good luck. It sounds like you are in good hands. I look forward to hearing a plan of treatment you feel confident in, and some good news about getting rid of those headaches, and being cancer free!

 
At 6:43 AM, Blogger Jaye said...

As always, praying for and with you!

Psalm 107:19-21 "Then they cry unto the LORD in their trouble, and he saveth them out of their distresses. He sent his word, and healed them, and delivered them from their destructions. Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!"

Love & hugs!!

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger Fantastic Four said...

Yes, Mayo is sooo much nicer than any clinic or hospital here! You should take a picture of the multi-million dollar colored blown glass hanging from the ceiling in the Gonda Building for everyone to see!

Yes, there are a lot of fields and farms! That is one thing I miss...Looking out my front window and seeing nothing but fields for miles! Oh, well...I have great neighbors now!

On another note, I hope you are getting some answers and feeling better soon!

Take care...Traci

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

Praying that you get good news from all the tests and answers for the pain.

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger IrishMommy said...

Cari,
I praying for you to get some answers to the medical mysteries, mostly to cure the headaches and along you to get some good rest. Thanks for the update, I was thinking about you all day yesterday.

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger mi said...

Just thinking of you today.

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Marsha said...

I hope they find the answers to the pain soon. Prayers going your way for peace during this whole testing process. I'm glad your hubby is there too!

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

thinking of you...and praying.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home