UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Thursday, September 03, 2009

Weekly Update

Again this week our goal is to make Cari as comfortable as possible. Cari made an emergency visit to the hospital earlier this week as she was having difficulty breathing. Of course they did some tests and then arrived back home early the next morning. She is now on oxygen to help her breathe better and continues on maintenance pain medication. She is having some trouble swallowing pills so we have converted most of her meds to liquid or dissolving tablets or IV infusion. She just dislikes the taste of her meds and makes no qualms about letting us know. My sister in law made me chuckle when she said that Cari tolerated all her surgeries, chemo, radiation, mris etc.without complaint but she just does NOT like the taste of her meds!!!

The kids had a busy week end. Visit to the state fair, birthday party, fire works at Woodbury days and the end of the summer trip to Valley Fair. Also all three children are busy getting ready for school next week. Melvin took Max to his school open house yesterday AM and Cameron had his in the evening. Both got to meet their teachers and become familiar with their classrooms. It's so much fun to see their excitement for school and their excitement for learning. Cari has done a wonderful job preparing them for this school year and passing on her love of learning. Miss Ella will be attending pre-school but still trying to figure out how many days. All this coordinating of bus schedules and activities sure brings back a lot of memories of when Cari and her sister Dana and brother Scott were younger with the same challenges. We sure become more skillful at multi tasking and more organized when confronted with everyone's busy but important schedules. Life sure would be boring and too predictable without children wouldn't it?

Just want to thank everyone again for your supporting comments on the blog, the many meals that are always at our dinner table after the highs and lows of the day, the email/text messages/cards,the flowers to brighten Cari's and the families spirit, the spur of the moment child care needs and the friends and families that are always there offering their kinds words, help and prayers each and every day. The Body of Christ is so present for the Ashford family.

29 Comments:

At 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give my love to Cari.

Nancy

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger TRUTH SHARER said...

Oh - I have been checking Cari's blog at least 10X a day!! So glad you posted something for us to read and know how to continue to pray for her. I wish I lived closer - to make a meal - but I'm afraid from NJ - it wouldn't arrive hot!!

If Cari is still able to hear and understand - I would encourage you to continue to read Scripture over her frail body and spirit. It can sooth her in a way nothing else will. May I suggest...

Psalm 145 to start...
Psalm 1
Psalm 8
John 1
Revelation 5

May she feel and know the power of the Almighty God that she stakes her ETERNAL LIFE upon!

My prayers continue for all of you as I ask God to show favor and blessing over Cari's life! Please give her hugs and kisses for me!

Choosing JOY [even now],
Stephanie
[JESUS - For His Name's Sake]

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger James 1:27 Family said...

I'm not sure how I first stumbled on Cari's blog but I'm so saddened to hear of her pain and suffering. I am asking God for a miracle of healing for her body and to hold her family in His comforting hands right now.

Blessings,
Amy

 
At 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

May God Bless Cari and her family

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Caro said...

You are one of the most amazing families ever. I can see where Cari gets her wonderful spirit and personality from.

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger JJ said...

Continued prayers for the whole family. I'm so glad the kids are having some fun and getting ready for school.

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger RuthieJ said...

My heart is breaking.
I pray for God's comfort for all of you and especially Cari.

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger Fantastic Four said...

God bless you all...

Melvin and Mary Beth- You are amazing and Cari is so lucky to have you by her side!

Give Cari our love. As always...Praying for you and your family!

Love- The Sanneman's

 
At 11:18 PM, Anonymous Lisa and Jason Como said...

Mary Beth, I couldn't help but think especially of you today, and all of the load you are bearing right now, both physically and emotionally.

My children are very young, but even when they simply scrape their knees it distresses me to see them hurt and upset....so I can only imagine what you are going through as you care for your daughter through this long, terrible illness. It has certainly made me hold my two-year-old daughter a whole lot tighter and appreciate each day I have with her, knowing in a new way that each day I have the honor of being her mother on this earth is a blessed day.

Of course the entire family is in our prayers, but you are especially in my heart and prayers tonight. I am praying that Jesus soothes you, continues to give you strength, and that each time you feel your heart breaking you also feel his gentle arms around you.

God bless you all, God be with you all.

 
At 10:32 AM, Anonymous A coworker of Melvin said...

I am holding Cari and your entire family in prayer at this time. May you feel surrounded by Christ's presence and His peace that passes all understanding.

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Jaye said...

We are continually praying for you. Our Heavenly Father is a God of might and miracles! We sure do love you all and am so thankful for your lives!

"The LORD will give strength unto his people; the LORD will bless his people with peace."
Psalm 29:11

 
At 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update and please know that so many people are keeping Cari and her family in prayer daily.

Love,
Sandi

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger Angela's Kitchen said...

Thank you so much for thinking to update even in the midst of all going on for you guys.

I bet Cari would go for chocolate or red wine flavored meds! You need some better flavors, Cari! Maybe a Carmel Macchiato?

Love you guys...

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger thomas, kelly, rosanna, and vivian meier said...

I think you are such an amazing mom. Cari and her beautiful family are in my thoughts and heart.

Kelly Meier

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the update - it helps us to know how to pray. I think of Cari often and your whole family is in our prayers daily. Mary Beth, my heart aches for you thinking of a mother watching her child suffering. May God keep you all in His tender care and grant you His peace that passes all understanding. Jesus loves you all and is there with you every step you take. Even when the going gets rough, He'll lift you up and carry you forward.
Love and HOPE to you,
Donna Termont (Sarah L.'s mother)

 
At 8:19 PM, Anonymous Marta Gilbert said...

Cari,

Thinking of you and your family every day.

Marta

 
At 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peace, child...

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Melinda said...

Carrie, I cannot stop praying and thinking about you and your family. Love and blessings, Melinda (Andrea's Sister-in-law)

 
At 6:32 AM, Blogger KC said...

Checking into give my love to Cari and fam!

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Marsha said...

Thinking and praying of your whole family daily. May God grant you peace and healing.

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger AnnD said...

Thinking of you Cari and family.

 
At 3:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for you, Cari.

 
At 12:48 AM, Blogger Fatty said...

Cari and my wife Susan seem to have followed this path in much the same way and at about the same time. Thank you, Cari's family and friends, for taking good care of Cari. You'll come out of this as tempered steel.

 
At 6:22 AM, Anonymous Shalynne said...

Hi this is Shalynne Barr cousin by marriage through Terrence Barr. Thank you for posting this blog. My heart is saddened but my spirit is encouraged by your words. It was like yesterday that we drove down from Michigan to spend about 1weeks time with the family for Spring break. We had so much fun. Those are the memories that I'm sticking by. The laughter and the silliness was beyond words. Just a bunch of cousins acting crazy.

I am still praying for peace and comfort during these times. Please kiss Cari for me and tell her that I love her dearly. Hug Melvin and let him know that we are supporting him and the kids, your whole family in prayer.

So much love,
Shalynne

 
At 11:17 PM, Anonymous watch tron legacy online said...

Good luck for you dude with your idea. I love to enjoy reading your post.Thanks anyway

 
At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Miami Car Accident said...

Useful post would it be OK if i translate into Russian for my blogs viewers? Thanks

 
At 2:38 PM, Anonymous Real Kamagra said...

Very Nice post.
I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post !!!

 
At 4:48 AM, Anonymous Anna said...

Nice post.

 
At 9:31 AM, Anonymous PDUSU BA 2nd Year Result 2021 said...

Having read your article. I appreciate you are taking the time and the effort for putting this useful information together.

PDUSU BA 1st Year Result 2021
PDUSU BA 3rd Year Result 2021

 

Post a Comment

<< Home