UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Making Friends

My four year old son is in this mini-sports camp this week. At first he was apprehensive when we pulled up to the park.

"But where's my preschool?" he asked.
"I told you, this is not at your school, but here in Woodbury."
"But where are all my friends?" he whimpered.
Feeling a little bad, but not about to abandon this camp that I paid over $80 for I cheerily said, "You'll make new friends!"

After a little hesitation, he sat down with the other kids and listened as the coaches explained what they'd be doing this week.

Yesterday, at the end of the 2nd day of camp, my son apparently took my advice seriously and decided to make some new friends.

"Mom, can we have Dominic come to our house to play?"
"Um, sure, we'll see," I replied.

So here's my dilema. How do I do this? I guess I'll have to invite the mom and boy over sometime for lunch or something. (I REFUSE to use the word "playdate." Something about it completely irritates me). I'm quite apprehensive. I'm NOT great at small talk, and I've found through the years that I have to have more in common with someone than just being a stay at home mom to make a connection. I've been to too many "mom things" where I just didn't feel right. All that middle school angst setting back in. (Now if the mom was a teacher, I could talk to her for hours!).

I didn't really think that when I told my son he'd have to make new friends, I'd have to make them too!!!!

3 Comments:

At 4:19 PM, Blogger LH said...

This would be such a great thing to talk about at the pasta bar. Once i get started on this topic, it's hard to stop. We used to invite kids over without parents, because we're not very sociable people. good luck with the PLAYDATE!!! (sorry! I couldn't resist)

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Undomestic said...

Well, the "date" is set at next Wednesday. Not sure if the mom will be staying, but I know I wouldn't drop my kid off at some strangers house. You never know. Wish me luck! What are some good small talk topics?

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger LH said...

well, you got the Must Love Dogs movie, and then you can always talk about the teachers at the pre-school. That usually fills up some time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home